School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   Skoolie on the Texas coast (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/skoolie-on-the-texas-coast-14254.html)

Brandon 06-27-2016 02:00 AM

Skoolie on the Texas coast
 
Hi everyone,
To start out me and my girlfriend just bought a 1999 re Amtran! We are planning to live in it for the next 5 years or so and travel around the U.S. :marshmallow:
So far we have taken out all of the seats, interior panels, drivers seat and wood floors, also we just got done with the framing for our sub floor. We should be getting a rv this week that we can use for parts so more progress is about to happen. We are here for advice and ideas! So don't hold back.

Brandon 06-27-2016 09:16 AM

https://s31.postimg.org/owcd1nuav/image.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/yuxbo53qf/image.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/fecm1m8mf/image.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/439yd91rb/image.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/a5hl3qq7b/image.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/od79se2w7/image.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/83h3phs87/image.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/vvqf10u93/image.jpg

https://s31.postimg.org/kxjqwkv1j/image.jpg


photo upload

WIbluebird 06-27-2016 09:29 AM

That is a NICE bus!! :eek: Does it have the DT466 or the super rare DT530?

Brandon 06-27-2016 09:33 AM

Thanks!! Got it for a steal as well. Sorry should have added that, it's got the t444e with a Allison mt643!

Tango 06-27-2016 09:49 AM

Well Hot Damn...Another Texas Skoolie! --- Welcome...you are just down the road from several other skoolie builders here in Houston. And it looks like you are off to a rip-roaring start on a solid platform.

Best of luck on the build out and don't hesitate to give a shout to the Texas Chapter if you find yourself in need of anything.

Brandon 06-27-2016 09:52 AM

Glad there are more skoolies around!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 153491)
Well Hot Damn...Another Texas Skoolie! --- Welcome...you are just down the road from several other skoolie builders here in Houston. And it looks like you are off to a rip-roaring start on a solid platform.

Best of luck on the build out and don't hesitate to give a shout to the Texas Chapter if you find yourself in need of anything.

Awesome!:biggrin: I didn't think there were any skoolie around, also I have so many questions lol. And what is the Texas chapter?

Tango 06-27-2016 10:04 AM

The reference to the "Texas Chapter" isn't anything official...just referring to the herd of members who are here in the Houston area. There are probably a half dozen skoolies in progress locally.

Off the top of my head there is "Flyboy"..."M1031A1"...myself and a few others are spread around the greater Houston area. A few of us have gotten together and shared war stories and looked at each others projects. Maybe it is time for another gathering. Just sharing info on local resources is valuable. Steel suppliers...machine shops...sheetmetal shops...parts sources...etc.

Once again...welcome to the madness.

Brandon 06-28-2016 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 153494)
The reference to the "Texas Chapter" isn't anything official...just referring to the herd of members who are here in the Houston area. There are probably a half dozen skoolies in progress locally.

Off the top of my head there is "Flyboy"..."M1031A1"...myself and a few others are spread around the greater Houston area. A few of us have gotten together and shared war stories and looked at each others projects. Maybe it is time for another gathering. Just sharing info on local resources is valuable. Steel suppliers...machine shops...sheetmetal shops...parts sources...etc.

Once again...welcome to the madness.

That would be awesome! When ever yall plan on having a meet just let me know, I will try my hardest to get out to it. Also is there any where in the area that has skoolie parts?

FlyboyHPD 06-28-2016 04:42 PM

Hey Brandon, congrats on getting a Skoolie. I have a '99 Amtran as well but mine is a front engine. Hope to meet up with you someday in the Houston area.

Brandon 06-28-2016 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD (Post 153647)
Hey Brandon, congrats on getting a Skoolie. I have a '99 Amtran as well but mine is a front engine. Hope to meet up with you someday in the Houston area.

Thanks man! I swear I saw one driving today in Santa Fe, would that happened to be you? And same to you still need a few things before I can drive mine.

M1031A1 06-28-2016 10:19 PM

Congrats on the AmTran! We had a bunch of those in the Katy ISD system when I was working for them. Watch out for the crosswinds in that. The handling goes away quickly if you're not paying attention. I drove four of those whenever my Thomas was getting serviced or needed a repair. We're due up for another get-together soon. I now work for Houston Metro. Tango if you hear an MCI coach bus honking going by your shop after, say, oh, 3:00 p.m. or so, odds are it's me saying "Hi" and "Are you there?"........

Brandon 06-28-2016 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1031A1 (Post 153673)
Congrats on the AmTran! We had a bunch of those in the Katy ISD system when I was working for them. Watch out for the crosswinds in that. The handling goes away quickly if you're not paying attention. I drove four of those whenever my Thomas was getting serviced or needed a repair. We're due up for another get-together soon. I now work for Houston Metro. Tango if you hear an MCI coach bus honking going by your shop after, say, oh, 3:00 p.m. or so, odds are it's me saying "Hi" and "Are you there?"........

Thanks man! Loving the Amtran, no rivets to really speak of on the interior made it an easy job to get the paneling off. But this one came from Katy isd, so you may have worked on it a time or two lol. But thanks for the heads up i haven't gotten to drive it yet hopefully soon if I can find this unfindable part. :banghead:

FlyboyHPD 06-29-2016 06:08 AM

No, that wasn't me. I live way up on the NW side of Houston, near Tomball. Let us know what kind of parts you're looking for. If we don't know of someplace local we'll probably have a website that can help you.

EastCoastCB 06-29-2016 06:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon (Post 153675)
Thanks man! Loving the Amtran, no rivets to really speak of on the interior made it an easy job to get the paneling off. But this one came from Katy isd, so you may have worked on it a time or two lol. But thanks for the heads up i haven't gotten to drive it yet hopefully soon if I can find this unfindable part. :banghead:

Wow they must have changed things up at AmTran dramatically. My 92 had more rivets inside than ANY other brand of school bus I've seen.

M1031A1 06-29-2016 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon (Post 153675)
Thanks man! Loving the Amtran, no rivets to really speak of on the interior made it an easy job to get the paneling off. But this one came from Katy isd, so you may have worked on it a time or two lol. But thanks for the heads up i haven't gotten to drive it yet hopefully soon if I can find this unfindable part. :banghead:

Brandon, what's the bus number? Not only could I have serviced it, but I could have driven it as well! Small world huh? I can tell you which yard had it by the bus number. IF it was 303, change out the water pump NOW, and I mean NOW!!!!! It had chronic overheating to the point the regular driver had the wire to the warning buzzer CUT!!!!! It was that way for TWO years! So here's to hoping you got any other bus but 303.......

Brandon 06-29-2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1031A1 (Post 153691)
Brandon, what's the bus number? Not only could I have serviced it, but I could have driven it as well! Small world huh? I can tell you which yard had it by the bus number. IF it was 303, change out the water pump NOW, and I mean NOW!!!!! It had chronic overheating to the point the regular driver had the wire to the warning buzzer CUT!!!!! It was that way for TWO years! So here's to hoping you got any other bus but 303.......

Very small world lol, but luckily I didn't get that one I got 307:dance:. I haven't started it yet but soon I should. Since you have working on them I have a question, the transmission filters they are relocated are they male or female?

Brandon 06-29-2016 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 153687)
Wow they must have changed things up at AmTran dramatically. My 92 had more rivets inside than ANY other brand of school bus I've seen.

There was only about 10 rivets in total, but 1000 or so screws later the panels are out lol.

Brandon 06-29-2016 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyboyHPD (Post 153685)
No, that wasn't me. I live way up on the NW side of Houston, near Tomball. Let us know what kind of parts you're looking for. If we don't know of someplace local we'll probably have a website that can help you.

Oh okay yeah must not have been you then, but thanks man. I'm looking for a cluster, and transmission filter housing mine is missing the male-male fitting that connects the filter to the housing.

M1031A1 06-29-2016 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brandon (Post 153695)
Very small world lol, but luckily I didn't get that one I got 307:dance:. I haven't started it yet but soon I should. Since you have working on them I have a question, the transmission filters they are relocated are they male or female?

I can't remember. It's been a while (a year or so) since I serviced them. Wish I could be better help. Sorry......

Brandon 06-29-2016 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M1031A1 (Post 153701)
I can't remember. It's been a while (a year or so) since I serviced them. Wish I could be better help. Sorry......

It's all good man, the dealers can't even figure it out lol. But did Katy do good maintenance on their buses? Also do they sell parts I need a cluster.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.