School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   New Canadian (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/new-canadian-14690.html)

meldy 08-12-2016 03:01 AM

New Canadian

Im pretty much brand new to this concept but love it and am presently looking to acquire a bus to convert.
But Im brand new, single, female and not particularily handy, I don't even own any tools but do have a very stable "rent a husband program" and they're all trademen so Im not without resources.

Im planning for my bus to be my full time living situation. Any hints, tip, tricks in advance would be fabulous!

Newbie mistakes to avoid?

I do want to run on at least partly solar.
I need to bus to remain mobile.
I want a full kitchen and bathroom.

Ive been absorbing as much information as I can and bingewatching youtube conversion videos.

sky nighthawk 08-12-2016 06:45 PM

Welcome aboard I'm sure you'll find answers to your questions, there a lot of knowledge to be had here

Sky

BusFiend 08-12-2016 07:21 PM

Hi, meldy! :welcome:

Carytowncat 08-12-2016 10:26 PM

Welcome!

One thing i did to keep it simple was just put a bunch of my stuff inside and see how it felt; chairs, rugs, bed, table, lamps, etc. It helped me get a feel for what i wanted and needed.

I went with the 200w Renogy solar kit on amazon, and two Trojan 6v t105 batteries, and it has been plety of power for lights, tv (tv needs to be low power led so as to not drain batteries) charges all my electronics; phone, laptop, tablet, led low power lighting, and Nightowl 4 camera survielance system. Can't beat it. Oh and during the day is sit in front of a fan to cool off.

Good luck!

gbstewart 08-13-2016 08:32 AM

welcome, lots on here to check out, as a Canadian, the first thing you have to do is make sure you can get insurance ,it can be the hardest part of the build. especially if your in Ontario
gbstewart

slidewayzm5 08-13-2016 02:49 PM

Hey Meldy, fellow Canadian here near Calgary. Sounds like you've got good people to help. Where are you from?

meldy 08-13-2016 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidewayzm5 (Post 158772)
Hey Meldy, fellow Canadian here near Calgary. Sounds like you've got good people to help. Where are you from?

I'm in Olds! Where are you?

slidewayzm5 09-16-2016 01:00 AM

Hey - just realized I hadn't responded to this. I did send you a PM though - hopefully you can help me out with the spray foam guy you know - and I can help with information, etc!

SDR76 09-16-2016 01:22 AM

Rent a Husband???

Can i get into a Rent-A-Wife program??? I don't need one with any particular skills, just the willingness to Travel Skoolie style, be chill, and not be a Glamping-Princess.....:biggrin: AND if they can make decent coffee while cruising down the highway, that's a HUGE bonus!!!

meldy 09-16-2016 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by slidewayzm5 (Post 162916)
Hey - just realized I hadn't responded to this. I did send you a PM though - hopefully you can help me out with the spray foam guy you know - and I can help with information, etc!

I got it but haven't heard back. I'll try again this weekend.
They work in camp so they're not around much.

meldy 09-16-2016 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDR76 (Post 162917)
Can i get into a Rent-A-Wife program??? I don't need one with any particular skills, just the willingness to Travel Skoolie style, be chill, and not be a Glamping-Princess.....:biggrin: AND if they can make decent coffee while cruising down the highway, that's a HUGE bonus!!!

LOL I think that's probably easier to find than you think!
My rent-a-husbands are all J-men in different areas lol Super skilled and Im kinda needy considering I can barely hammer a nail straight.
I can, however, make a mean cup of coffee!! :campfire:

SDR76 09-16-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by meldy (Post 162982)
LOL I think that's probably easier to find than you think!
My rent-a-husbands are all J-men in different areas lol Super skilled and Im kinda needy considering I can barely hammer a nail straight.
I can, however, make a mean cup of coffee!! :campfire:

I THOUGHT I had one!!! As more progress is made, the less my lady friend is interested.. I think the reality of "oh hell, I'm going to been seen in this thing by civilized people" is setting in!!!! Lol

Tootalltechie 09-16-2016 02:37 PM

Welcome to Skoolie.net from another canuck

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

slidewayzm5 09-16-2016 03:31 PM

Thanks. I'm hoping to do a bit of welding on Sunday to get the rear wall solid and the hitch narrowed, then on to sealing up all of the seams and rivets with Seam Tape and Liquid Rubber Waterproof Sealant. Then I'll be ready for spray foam hopefully by next weekend ish.

Likely I'll try to track down a company that is doing a home, then roll up with the bus and offer cash to do the job. I've estimated 575 sqft x 2" deep. 1150 board feet. Should be cozy with the wood stove in there and a lot less windows!

slidewayzm5 09-16-2016 03:34 PM

LOL.. SDR! I thought no way women would want to help with the bus, but I was wrong! There are some great ones out there.

They have told me that I need a hot tub on the back of my bus though.. but then where would the Snowbikes, and other toys go?!

SDR76 09-16-2016 04:39 PM

Canadians!!

I'm going to have to load up and come north!!! I think I've still got a year or so on my passport......

slidewayzm5 09-16-2016 11:20 PM

You better be bringing a bus load of cute girls with ya.. that's a requirement at the border now in addition to your passport. You heard it here first! :D

SDR76 09-17-2016 04:16 PM

In the contrary friend!!! I'm coming to get some and bring back HERE!!!! I've never met a Canuk I didn't like, so I bet I could assimilate a few Canadian hotties to the desert bus life!!!!

SDR76 09-22-2016 05:38 PM

Find a bus?

Hows the search going? There was an auction I was watching in Texas (about as far from Canada as you can get). They all looked clean and were selling for some good prices...