School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   What kind of mileage do you get? (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/what-kind-of-mileage-do-you-get-15.html)

o1marc 08-20-2018 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoggerTheNomad (Post 287224)
Just purchased my 1999 E350 shorty with the 7.3 turbo diesel. Headed from Atlanta to Arizona..about 2 k miles. I have no clue but guessing 5 to 8 mpg..not being a math guy. I'm thinking close to 600 bucks in fuel alone.
Am I even close ??
Appreciate it !! I have a 2 k emergency fund. Not much but time ran out on me. Doing the best I can..Around 30 days and I'm hitting the road.
See ya'll on the other side !

With diesel right around $3 you're looking at $750 at 8mpg and $1200 at 5mpg. I spent near $1500 bringing my bus back from Seattle to Atl., 7mpg at 80mph, 8.9mpg at 70mph, average over 50 gallons.

SolomonEagle 08-20-2018 07:09 PM

Think I posted here before but I get 9mpg @63 mph going up and down all the biggest passes on the I5 and 10 conservative driving @55mph. 28' international dt360 Spicer 5speed. 15k+/- lbs curbweight

HoggerTheNomad 08-20-2018 07:54 PM

Okay then, my bus is short..and I plan on 55-60 mph. However I will be traveling with some weight.
Sounds like its gonna cost me more than I thought..
I really appreciate your comments !
Must sell more stuff !!!
Big Green Egg ..gone
Big Craftsman double decker tool box..gone
Ridding lawn tractor and all other back pack blower etc...gone
thanks again !!

George 08-20-2018 08:21 PM

My E350 7.3 SRW gets 15mpg at 60mph , 13mpg at 65mph , and 11.5mpg at 70mph. I would expect the duel rear wheels to be less but holds more weight.
Conversion done in US gallons not imperial.

joeblack5 08-20-2018 08:36 PM

George, same srw here, I am right there with your numbers, do you have a 4.1 or 3.55 in the rear Mine has 4.1. We have a e350 7.3 4x4 with 3.55 and that gets about 16 to 19mpg. it is an extended van.

later J

George 08-20-2018 09:04 PM

Joe,
I have the 4.10 , I understand thatís the only rear end they put in the cutaways. I think if the fella drives his cutaway nice and easy he will pay a lot less for fuel than he thinks.

joeblack5 08-20-2018 09:11 PM

George, I think you are right, I often wonder if I should change the 4.10 to a 3.55 to gain some mpg. May be throw in a locker at the same time. What is your interior height. You think a 3.55 could pull enough?
later J

cowlitzcoach 08-20-2018 09:17 PM

I had three Ford E-350 buses with the 7.3L/E4OD power package. They had the 4.56 rear gears.

Over about 150,000 miles the three buses averaged 11-13 MPG.

George 08-20-2018 09:45 PM

Joe
The interior height is about 5í10Ē and not the best as I am 6í2Ē.
However , for our purposes the bus is perfect as We only camp a couple of weekends a year but travel a couple of months alternating between hotels and parking lots. Itís nice to have a big bed , port a potty , stove and sink , and couch but still be able to use a single parking space anywhere ... including a cruise ship terminal !
Personally I would not bother with a rear end change as this little bus is a rocket when I need it to be , handles the Rocky Mountains like a champ , and when driven really lightly on the prairies with light traffic probably could get 17mpg.

Cowltz , according to my owners manual for 2001 , the dual rear wheels had your gearing .... did you have srw on those buses. Also , my bus mpg goes way down in stop and go traffic .

cowlitzcoach 08-21-2018 11:09 AM

[QUOTE.

Cowltz , according to my owners manual for 2001 , the dual rear wheels had your gearing .... did you have srw on those buses. Also , my bus mpg goes way down in stop and go traffic .[/QUOTE]

Two were 1990 models and one was a 1994.

All were dual rear wheel models.

The 1994 was one row longer than the 1990 ones.

The 1990 models had 11,900 GVWR's and the 1994 had 13,900 GVWR. Outside of the longer wheelbase I never could determine what was different between them to warrant a higher GVWR. The front and rear brakes used the same parts, the springs had the same number of leaves, the axles used the same bearings, and the power package appeared to be identical.

The 1994 had a different body that wasn't quite as square, as in a little more aerodynamic. It consistently got 1 MPG better than the other two.

With the 4.56 gears top speed was about 70 MPH with the throttle to the wall. Even still, on any sort of hill with a load it was dropping out of OD and even into 2nd if the hill was steep enough and the load was big enough.

bustache 10-15-2018 09:06 PM

Im about to do a similar trip from CT to Orlando. How often did you stop?

EastCoastCB 10-15-2018 10:18 PM

Bringing a New England bus to FL?

Last time I got a bus was up in the northwest corner of GA and I drove it back to Orlando area in an easy day of driving. I probably stopped 3 times to use the restroom and fuel up the bus.

Mr4btTahoe 10-21-2018 12:22 AM

Our first trip under our belts... the ol' 7.3 NA IDI managed 13.1mpg average. Will be throwing some boost down it's throat after the winter which should pick it up a bit yet.

Overall... very pleased.

Rogue1bus 01-11-2019 08:59 PM

Iím averaging about 10mpg and I try to keep my cruising speed between 45-50mph.

I have a 2002 33í flat noise RE Amtran 7.3 t444e approximate weight 17-18k lbs WITH 545 transmission.

I cruise at 45-50mph which is 2000-2300 rpm.... Iím wondering if changing my gearing out to cruise at 55 at 2000 would make a big enough difference to be worth it...

cadillackid 01-12-2019 08:06 AM

it would be well worth it... the 444E likes to run below 2000 at part throttle.. it doesnt like to be loaded down at RPMs below 1700.. with an AT545 you dont have the issue as the converter slip will tend to keep your REVs close to 2000. most of the time under any throttle..

whats the HP / TQ rating on your RE engine? I never knew they put the 545s in the RE's was thinking they got the 230 / 250 version of the 444E with 643's or 3060s..
-Christopher

Rogue1bus 01-12-2019 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 304892)
it would be well worth it... the 444E likes to run below 2000 at part throttle.. it doesnt like to be loaded down at RPMs below 1700.. with an AT545 you dont have the issue as the converter slip will tend to keep your REVs close to 2000. most of the time under any throttle..

whats the HP / TQ rating on your RE engine? I never knew they put the 545s in the RE's was thinking they got the 230 / 250 version of the 444E with 643's or 3060s..
-Christopher

195 hp version

EastCoastCB 01-12-2019 08:27 AM

I know a guy with a 40' RE cummins 5.9/545.
Its ok but the cooling system is marginal and you gotta keep a close eye on the temps.

Asetechrail 01-12-2019 02:17 PM

93 Amtran Genesis with mechanical DT466 and Allison MT643. Running 55 to 60mph average a about 10mpg. Bump the speed up 65 to 70mph and the mileage drops to about 7mpg. Iím happy running 60 most of the time.

BakerSage 01-15-2019 04:42 PM

I just drove our bus (2003 International with a DT466E diesel) home to Denver, CO from where we bought it in Lagrangeville, NY (near Poughkeepsie). This was pre-conversion, with the seats still in, and we did 60-70mph almost the whole time. Averaged about 8.5-9mpg. Hoping we still get at least 6-8 after we convert it *fingers crossed*

GWRider 01-21-2019 08:54 PM

Just Drove back from CA

Just arrived back early this morning with my 1990 Crown Supercoach with 6-71TA and Allison MT647 that I purchased in CA. Fuel mileage was 9.86 mpg going the southern route through AZ, NM, TX, OK then KS.

GWRider 01-21-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GWRider (Post 306322)
Just arrived back early this morning with my 1990 Crown Supercoach with 6-71TA and Allison MT647 that I purchased in CA. Fuel mileage was 9.86 mpg going the southern route through AZ, NM, TX, OK then KS.

Correction: Gas mileage was 7.93 mpg not 9.86.

Sleddgracer 03-25-2019 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the_experience03 (Post 13329)
My worst mileage was across North Dakota which happens to be as flat as any state I've ever seen. It doesn't matter which direction you're traveling in across North Dakota....you will ALWAYS have a 25 mph headwind.

I drove south on the continental divide through Montana into strong head winds with what amounted to a big flat wind catching sail as my load on a one ton crew cab on duallys and got 3.4 miles to a CANADIAN gallon - knock off 20% to come up with a us gal :O
:facepalm:

Sleddgracer 03-25-2019 10:26 PM

I had a tuck camper mounted on a flat deck one ton dually and got 3.5 mpg - I created a convex scoop and mounted on the cab over portion of the camper and got 7 MPG - I keep trying to think of something practical to do to a skoolie to cut the wind resistance a bit - that height and no streamlining has to be a killer for good mileage

Sleddgracer 05-05-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adamb (Post 6292)
My bus is a 59 passenger Thomas with a 366 Chevy (gas) engine. I've been playing around with driving speed vs. fuel efficiency. It seems I can nearly double my fuel efficiency when driving 55-60 as opposed to 70-75, according to my speedometer. When pushing it hard, I may get as low as 3.7 mpg or so. When taking it easy, I've seen as high as 7 mpg and slightly above. I'm yet to determine what my rear gear ratio is, since the tag was completely wore out on it. I'd love to change the rear end, or put some different gears in so I could get better mileage at the higher speeds. I guess for me, and I imagine most anyone, if you're not in a hurry, driving slower can really pay off, especially with gas prices now.

do you have an automatic or a standard trans? - if a standard, do you have the 2 speed rear end?

Sleddgracer 05-05-2019 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bk2valve (Post 25705)
One thing that is always interesting to me is that when folks figure mileage they assume that the pumps are registering accurate gallonage. Well guys, they don't. That is just the truth. In America they are often only checked once a year at best. I have been told that it can be as often as every three years....I don't know about you but I have bought fuel that came through pumps that look older than I am and that is old! It is kind of like meat inspections, the inspectors are far and few between and if they hit a meat packer once in a while, they are doing good. Same with the bureau of weights and measures...when was the last time you saw them checking a station's pumps? Looking at the inspection stamps on the pumps is a good idea but are you going to move to another station if they are last year's stamp?
I read a great book about a very anal Canadian with a Class C motorhome who drove all the way to Panama and back. He had multi-liter sized containers and he would compare the amount pumps were actually giving to what they said they were giving. Not so good here in the US but off the scales in Mexico and Central America....not even close. Your call but I always take mpg claims with a grain of salt....
Brian in NM

I had two tanks on my old one ton Ford crew cab - gas gauge was one of the many 'accessories' that didn't work on that old junker - I would run one tank dry, then drive a suitable distance, leaving about half a tank in the other tank, then stop for another fill - the tank that I habitually ran until it was empty held 16 Imperial gallons ( I'm in Canada ) - came across one station in Ft Nelson that was able to squeeze 18 gallons into the same tank - when I showed the station operator my build paper from the manufacturer, that showed 16 gal per tank, and receipts from dozens of other fill ups, he still denied his pumps were out of adjustment - I vowed never to go back there, but wouldn't you know it, that was the only place open on my return trip :(

Sleddgracer 05-05-2019 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TourTech (Post 70193)
I don't really know what a mile or a gallon is, but I want to get 5Km/Litre of diesel out of my 72 passenger 444E - it looks to be about 12Miles per Gallon.

l had that come out to a bit more than 14 MP Gallon - doubt you'll do that well in a bus

Ronnie 05-05-2019 05:00 PM

At this point I can say with some real mileage put on it that when pulling a trailer, (5,000-7,000 lbs) I am getting 5mpg. No trailer not well defined yet. but seems about 6mpg, have gotten 6.5 a few times but that has not been normal, so think how full each time might have been different.

Epomethius 05-05-2019 06:11 PM

Heads up this is for a shortie: 11 is the low and once I got 16!! Average is 12-13. Seems the same whether 60 or 70, though I drive 60 typically.

o1marc 05-05-2019 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleddgracer (Post 323723)
I had two tanks on my old one ton Ford crew cab - gas gauge was one of the many 'accessories' that didn't work on that old junker - I would run one tank dry, then drive a suitable distance, leaving about half a tank in the other tank, then stop for another fill - the tank that I habitually ran until it was empty held 16 Imperial gallons ( I'm in Canada ) - came across one station in Ft Nelson that was able to squeeze 18 gallons into the same tank - when I showed the station operator my build paper from the manufacturer, that showed 16 gal per tank, and receipts from dozens of other fill ups, he still denied his pumps were out of adjustment - I vowed never to go back there, but wouldn't you know it, that was the only place open on my return trip :(

I was at a pump locally awhile back and noticed when you turn the pump handle on it would start rolling money on the screen, before I ever had the nozzle near the spout. I turned it off and tried another pump, did the same thing. Immediately got on the phone with the weights and measures people and had them out there with in the hour.I wonder how much money they made on unsuspecting customers. I often wonder why I can put 17 gallons in my 15 gallon tank when I still had some left.

PNW_Steve 05-05-2019 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o1marc (Post 323787)
I was at a pump locally awhile back and noticed when you turn the pump handle on it would start rolling money on the screen, before I ever had the nozzle near the spout. I turned it off and tried another pump, did the same thing. Immediately got on the phone with the weights and measures people and had them out there with in the hour.I wonder how much money they made on unsuspecting customers. I often wonder why I can put 17 gallons in my 15 gallon tank when I still had some left.

There was a "consunumer alert" news story out of Seattle recently where they documented a number of pumps that would continue counting after you clicked the pump off.

I suspect that sort of thing may be pretty common......,.

Brad_SwiftFur 05-05-2019 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o1marc (Post 323787)
I was at a pump locally awhile back and noticed when you turn the pump handle on it would start rolling money on the screen, before I ever had the nozzle near the spout. I turned it off and tried another pump, did the same thing. Immediately got on the phone with the weights and measures people and had them out there with in the hour..

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW_Steve (Post 323802)
There was a "consumer alert" news story out of Seattle recently where they documented a number of pumps that would continue counting after you clicked the pump off.

And I don't know about in Seattle, but here in GA the authorities take that *VERY* seriously. The law is very clear, the pump *SHALL* be on zero before the first drop is dispensed.

o1marc 05-05-2019 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur (Post 323829)
And I don't know about in Seattle, but here in GA the authorities take that *VERY* seriously. The law is very clear, the pump *SHALL* be on zero before the first drop is dispensed.

And they will bring a gallon or 5 gallon jug to check that it's accurate and shut you down right now if it isn't.

PNW_Steve 05-06-2019 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur (Post 323829)

It appears that enforcement is inconsistent.

According to the news story it took Weights and Measures two weeks to respond to thier complaints.

Tin Roadtube Vagrant 06-24-2021 01:21 PM

12.48 MPG with a 3126B CAT, 6 speed manual Fuller trans and holding at 63MPG on flat earth (across Illinois)

flattracker 06-24-2021 02:15 PM

I reliably got 10 MPG with my "old Crown" and once got 11 MPG going across eastern Oregon. Most of the time on the highway I had the pedal to the metal since top speed was about 63 MPH except downhill.
I only have one trip in the new Crown so far, and that was with the original engine and gearing. My speed on that trip got up to 70 MPH a lot on I5 (based on GPS) and the tach didn't work but I know I exceeded redline.
With the replacement engine producing about 430 HP and the tall gears (3.42) I am looking for maybe 8-9 MPG on the highway. I took it on a 90 mile round trip to see how it would do on the road and found the speedometer needed to be watched as 70 MPH came too easy (Oregon HWY 140 is a 2 lane back road and at 70 the cops would put down their lunch to get you. At 65 they don't even look up.)
Any opinions about my expectations?