School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hello... (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/hello-15484.html)

tobeamiss 10-23-2016 07:57 AM

Hello...

Well i just got my bus the other day and I'm a nervous wreck. That "what have i done" feeling is so strong....but this is something i was so excited about...excited enough to search and search and then win the bid by 39 seconds. I'm sure once i get my bus home and start working on it the anxiety will start to fade. It surely doesn't help that all of my siblings have said I'm crazy for doing this LOL

I ended up getting a 2002 International 3000. Seats 66...Diesel...Automatic.

Dapplecreek 10-23-2016 08:02 AM

Happy for you! Whereabouts are you, and where is the bus coming from? Do you have a major road trip planned for a maiden voyage, or is it local?

And do you know which automatic transmission you have? And air or hydraulic brakes? Might change how you prep for your trip home.

Glad you're here!

Tango 10-23-2016 10:21 AM

ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
"How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Carytowncat 10-23-2016 10:33 AM

Welcome!

Yep once again i am reminded of the "what have i done?!" panic.
That lasted for a few months for me. Fading a little each day and growing everytime i ran into trouble parking it.

Now, four months later, i mostly have this " amazed that it all worked itself out " feeling. How did it all work out?! The encouragement from people here helped see me through hard times.

I shared my plan with the girl i adored and she said it was a stupid idea, that hurt a lot and kinda sealed my decision to buy a bus. She was a stupider idea but i still gave her a I a chance. Turns out the Universe supported the bus idea a lot more than the her and I idea.

Good luck!

cadillackid 10-23-2016 02:26 PM

my "what have i done now" moment came about a month ago when I unexpectedly won an auction for a second bus.. ha! now im enjoying having 2 busses that are nearly as opposite as it gets in the way they drive, look, and feel...
-Christopher

deftone 10-23-2016 04:59 PM

I have that feeling too as I am making the 1200mile drive home with my new bus tomorrow!

cadillackid 10-23-2016 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deftone (Post 167986)
I have that feeling too as I am making the 1200mile drive home with my new bus tomorrow!

my "problem" is ive never quite gotten past the "I love driving a bus so much I never want to shut it down t oconvert anything" phase...

alas I gt that big ole grin every time I get in the seat and drive!! yeah 1200 miles .. when I had that trip in front of me (1100).. I hardly could sleep the night before from excitement.. 6 months later and i still feel that way.. so much I drove a bus today to breakfast and to get groceries :)

-Christopher

tobeamiss 10-23-2016 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dapplecreek (Post 167925)
Happy for you! Whereabouts are you, and where is the bus coming from? Do you have a major road trip planned for a maiden voyage, or is it local?

And do you know which automatic transmission you have? And air or hydraulic brakes? Might change how you prep for your trip home.

Glad you're here!

thank you for the welcome :D
It says it has a MD3060 Allison automatic transmission with a DT 466 engine and has air brakes....I'm hoping these are all good things. Apparently the bus was running school routes right up until the new buses came in. Which I know doesn't really mean anything but it sounds good. I'm hoping to get over there tomorrow and start it up. But that's all I can do as I have to go to DMV and get it registered etc.
When I do get to take it home, the ride is only 15 mins. but, once the interior is done (enough to hit the road) I'll be heading to Fla....I have family there.

tobeamiss 10-23-2016 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deftone (Post 167986)

Wow! good luck to you!

tobeamiss 10-23-2016 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 167942)
ďBut I donít want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
"Oh, you canít help that," said the Cat: "weíre all mad here. Iím mad. Youíre mad."
"How do you know Iím mad?" said Alice.
"You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldnít have come here.Ē

― Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

I must be mad because in a strange sort of way that calmed me :wink1:
thank you! hehe

tobeamiss 10-23-2016 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 168013)
my "problem" is ive never quite gotten past the "I love driving a bus so much I never want to shut it down t oconvert anything" phase...

alas I gt that big ole grin every time I get in the seat and drive!! yeah 1200 miles .. when I had that trip in front of me (1100).. I hardly could sleep the night before from excitement.. 6 months later and i still feel that way.. so much I drove a bus today to breakfast and to get groceries :)

-Christopher

That's too funny. So you're like a kid in a Candy Store!

tobeamiss 10-23-2016 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carytowncat (Post 167943)
Welcome!

Yep once again i am reminded of the "what have i done?!" panic.
That lasted for a few months for me. Fading a little each day and growing everytime i ran into trouble parking it.

Now, four months later, i mostly have this " amazed that it all worked itself out " feeling. How did it all work out?! The encouragement from people here helped see me through hard times.

I shared my plan with the girl i adored and she said it was a stupid idea, that hurt a lot and kinda sealed my decision to buy a bus. She was a stupider idea but i still gave her a I a chance. Turns out the Universe supported the bus idea a lot more than the her and I idea.

Good luck!

It really is a panicky kind of feeling! I guess because I won't be stationery anymore...not that it has to stay that way. There's nothing that says I can't buy a small piece of land, right? I do have an acre in SC but it's on a long and deserted road out in the middle of nowhere....um, no thank you. I mean it'll do if I just need a break. But anyway, if I don't do this now, I'll never do it and always wonder "what if"....and there have been too many 'what ifs' so this is it!
So are you all finished with your build?

tobeamiss 10-23-2016 09:42 PM

thank you all for the warm welcome...

It's awesome to know there are others out there just like me...people I can relate to and share stories and advice.
So is anyone stationary or is everyone on the road?

cadillackid 10-23-2016 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeamiss (Post 168032)
It's awesome to know there are others out there just like me...people I can relate to and share stories and advice.
So is anyone stationary or is everyone on the road?

I dont live in either of the busses.. im not really a Camper.. in fact most nioghts im on the road you'll find my bus in a hotel parking lot..

the carpenter is a mobile software / hardware DEV lab.. when im having trouble working oput a piece of code or designing a system.. or when I just need new scenery i go on the road.. driving and thinking... stopping and programming with the door open and my feet dangling of the edge.. testing ideas along the way.. sometimes sleeping on the air mattress for a couple hours.. othertimes parked.. in a opark, or in a downtown parking lot while i walk and explore.. then can test as i need..

the other bus is well... yeah it was not really planned.. but then I got it and it just feels right... so Idrive it around... it even fits in my driveway.. yes I have a house in ohio.. and a downtown loft in florida.. the busses often find themselves somewhere between florida and ohio... so im kind of mobile.. but also stationary when i need or want to be...
-Christopher

deftone 10-23-2016 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 168035)
I dont live in either of the busses.. im not really a Camper.. in fact most nioghts im on the road you'll find my bus in a hotel parking lot..

the carpenter is a mobile software / hardware DEV lab.. when im having trouble working oput a piece of code or designing a system.. or when I just need new scenery i go on the road.. driving and thinking... stopping and programming with the door open and my feet dangling of the edge.. testing ideas along the way.. sometimes sleeping on the air mattress for a couple hours.. othertimes parked.. in a opark, or in a downtown parking lot while i walk and explore.. then can test as i need..

the other bus is well... yeah it was not really planned.. but then I got it and it just feels right... so Idrive it around... it even fits in my driveway.. yes I have a house in ohio.. and a downtown loft in florida.. the busses often find themselves somewhere between florida and ohio... so im kind of mobile.. but also stationary when i need or want to be...
-Christopher

Sounds like pretty much a perfect lifestyle! I would love to have such freedom!

tobeamiss 10-24-2016 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 168035)

-Christopher

wow, that really does sound like the perfect lifestyle!

SDR76 10-25-2016 11:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeamiss (Post 168026)
thank you for the welcome :D
It says it has a MD3060 Allison automatic transmission with a DT 466 engine and has air brakes....I'm hoping these are all good things. Apparently the bus was running school routes right up until the new buses came in. Which I know doesn't really mean anything but it sounds good. I'm hoping to get over there tomorrow and start it up. But that's all I can do as I have to go to DMV and get it registered etc.
When I do get to take it home, the ride is only 15 mins. but, once the interior is done (enough to hit the road) I'll be heading to Fla....I have family there.

DT466, Allison 3060, air brakes. Yessss!! ALL good things!!!! Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

GreyCoyote 10-25-2016 11:58 PM

Yup. That bus has all the right drivetrain bits. You scored!!! Whooo hooo!!!

tobeamiss 10-28-2016 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SDR76 (Post 168502)
DT466, Allison 3060, air brakes. Yessss!! ALL good things!!!! Oh, and welcome to the forum. :)

Thank you !!! I'm super psyched to get started on it.....trying to get it insured is another story.... what a hassle :(

tobeamiss 10-28-2016 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyCoyote (Post 168507)
Yup. That bus has all the right drivetrain bits. You scored!!! Whooo hooo!!!

:D thank you

Bluebirdshortbus 10-28-2016 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeamiss (Post 167924)
Well i just got my bus the other day and I'm a nervous wreck. That "what have i done" feeling is so strong....but this is something i was so excited about...excited enough to search and search and then win the bid by 39 seconds. I'm sure once i get my bus home and start working on it the anxiety will start to fade. It surely doesn't help that all of my siblings have said I'm crazy for doing this LOL

I ended up getting a 2002 International 3000. Seats 66...Diesel...Automatic.

Welcome! I'm a newbie to just got the bus a month ago (mine a BB Shortie, was converted to be a camper and my boyfriend and I are thinking more full-time so we have some work to do) we've been staying in it since we bought it and are in love with everything about it! Can't wait to see your bus!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tobeamiss 10-30-2016 10:06 AM

Oh very cool!! I finally got mine home yesterday and I'm ready to get to work on it. Today I'm going to Home Depot to find something to get these seats out...the bolts aren't budging.
Thank you for the welcome :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you do as well :D. Isn't this exciting? I love that you're already staying in yours... good luck to you!

EastCoastCB 10-30-2016 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeamiss (Post 169089)
Oh very cool!! I finally got mine home yesterday and I'm ready to get to work on it. Today I'm going to Home Depot to find something to get these seats out...the bolts aren't budging.
Thank you for the welcome :) I'm looking forward to seeing what you do as well :D. Isn't this exciting? I love that you're already staying in yours... good luck to you!

Get an angle grinder. You'll be glad you did, its a great tool to have.

tobeamiss 11-01-2016 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 169108)
Get an angle grinder. You'll be glad you did, its a great tool to have.

I have an air chisel reserved for Friday at the Rental center....the mechanics at the bus garage where I won my bus at auction said it should do the trick.

EastCoastCB 11-01-2016 08:30 AM

As much as I love my air chisel, I don't think its a good choice for the job. But give it a try. Maybe it will somehow get through the hardened bolts without damaging the 14ga bus body/floor.
How much are they charging for the rental? A new one is only about $15.
https://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_21490.jpg
Quote:

Only: $13.99
or get an angle for the same price-
https://www.harborfreight.com/media/c...mage_21332.jpg

tobeamiss 11-08-2016 08:08 AM

Sorry I haven't been back...thank you for the great advice...I stopped in at the Rental and another guy there also (before I saw your post) said the air chisel wasn't the best idea....So I picked up a cheap angle grinder and 5 blades (just in case). I'm real excited because whatever I can't get with the impact wrench I'm cutting off with the angle grinder. It's a while lotta work with me under the bus holding the nut with a socket and breaker bar and my son up top using the impact wrench...rust raining down on me lol. hmmmm, should be the other way around but I don't mind :) I'm making great progress and after 2 hours of steady work I have 4 seats out. We've gone the whole way down 1 side getting what we can with the impact wrench and all that's left to do is cut the remaining bolts off.
I spent 4hrs yesterday taking the foam off the back of the seats leaving just the frames to work with. Those seats are heavy...probably close to 40lbs...I'll take them all to the scrap yard. I hope I can get some good money for them.
I think I better start another thread on my progress :)
Thanks again for the great advice!

TheCog 11-08-2016 08:22 AM

Scrap prices for steel are about 2-3 cents a pound right now so you might want to make sure you can't reuse some of that steel for your build. Also might want to list them on Craigslist cuz even at selling them for $10 each you'll make more than just scrapping them...if they have built in seat belts they should be worth even more.

Scrap yards will allow about 20% of the weight to be non-metal (fluff)...it just depends on the yard, so you might be wasting your time stripping the foam if you can scrap them as-is.

Brewerbob 11-08-2016 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 167969)
my "what have i done now" moment came about a month ago when I unexpectedly won an auction for a second bus.. ha! now im enjoying having 2 busses that are nearly as opposite as it gets in the way they drive, look, and feel...

.. so much I drove a bus today to breakfast and to get groceries :-)-Christopher

WHY?!?!? Why two buses and groceries in a bus is overkill until you bought out the entire store. Would cut down on having to go back any time soon.

cadillackid 11-08-2016 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 170514)
WHY?!?!? Why two buses and groceries in a bus is overkill until you bought out the entire store. Would cut down on having to go back any time soon.

ha!! I could at least buy the chips, oreos and soda-pop aisle out... (hey thats what us computer geeks live on!)

we are about as opposite as it gets and i love it!!

Total ON-Grid here.. so hey why not have a bus as a daily.. I honestly dont believe its much loinger than the dualy crew cab pickups the baseball-dads drive their kids to the games in..

-Christopher

Brewerbob 11-08-2016 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeamiss (Post 170440)
It's a while lotta work with me under the bus holding the nut with a socket and breaker bar and my son up top using the impact wrench...

Is he going about this the right way? I have a impact that goes to 650 ft-lbs. I've no idea what size bolts they are but I doubt they would hold together at 650ft-lbs. Even if they shear, he was going to cut them anyway. As long as they shear quick.

Brewerbob 11-08-2016 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 170515)
ha!! I could at least buy the chips, oreos and soda-pop aisle out... (hey thats what us computer geeks live on!)

we are about as opposite as it gets and i love it!!

Total ON-Grid here.. so hey why not have a bus as a daily.. I honestly dont believe its much loinger than the dualy crew cab pickups the baseball-dads drive their kids to the games in..

-Christopher

Indeed.

The gas mileage of my Jetta wagon is a little better for a daily tho. I haven't read thru the MPG thread yet but if anyone is posting 42+mpg they: 1) are either lying or 2) need to apply for a patent ASAP.:rofl:

So you and the OP have folks in FL? I call Tallahassee home even tho I haven't lived there since '99. Too damn hot.

Tobeamiss,
Where's the property in SC? I used to live in Irmo too.

cadillackid 11-08-2016 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 170519)
Indeed.

The gas mileage of my Jetta wagon is a little better for a daily tho. I haven't read thru the MPG thread yet but if anyone is posting 42+mpg they: 1) are either lying or 2) need to apply for a patent ASAP.:rofl:

So you and the OP have folks in FL? I call Tallahassee home even tho I haven't lived there since '99. Too damn hot.

Tobeamiss,

I have a house in Columbus ohio and a City apartment in downtown st pete.. my family disowned me.. or maybe I disowned them.. either way.. yeah im in florida and in columbus.. I hate to Shiver.. more like I hate the 97 continuous days of cloudy gray skies we get in columbus so I hide out in the sunshine.. my body has Less insulation than my 1991 Carpenter bus so I hate to be cold and layered up with a bunch of bulky clothes.. summer is hot in st pete but the water helps...and being able to go to ohio too.

-Christopher

P.S. I live more on the FPG than I do the MPG..

Brewerbob 11-08-2016 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 170526)
I have a house in Columbus ohio and a City apartment in downtown st pete.. my family disowned me.. or maybe I disowned them.. either way.. yeah im in florida and in columbus.. I hate to Shiver.. more like I hate the 97 continuous days of cloudy gray skies we get in columbus so I hide out in the sunshine.. my body has Less insulation than my 1991 Carpenter bus so I hate to be cold and layered up with a bunch of bulky clothes.. summer is hot in st pete but the water helps...and being able to go to ohio too.

-Christopher

Cool. My grandparents on my dad's side were snow birds; WI to West Palm. I could see myself doing that. The weather sucks, grab the flamingos honey, we're leaving!!

Quote:

P.S. I live more on the FPG than I do the MPG..
Fuel per gallon. Fuel is measured in gal... oh, Fun Per Gallon. Gotcha!! The GF and I are ready for some major upheaval in our lives. To be posted shortly in my hello post.

cadillackid 11-08-2016 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 170527)
Cool. My grandparents on my dad's side were snow birds; WI to West Palm. I could see myself doing that. The weather sucks, grab the flamingos honey, we're leaving!!

Fuel per gallon. Fuel is measured in gal... oh, Fun Per Gallon. Gotcha!! The GF and I are ready for some major upheaval in our lives. To be posted shortly in my hello post.

in my case its.. 'crap the weather sucks.. Grab a BUS!! and NOT the greyhound!'..

I do like SNOW!!! just not snow and endless grey so yeah I might actually be one of those that would go BACK to Ohio when a massive Blizzard was predicted imminent (thats when snow is fun)...
-Christopher

tobeamiss 11-10-2016 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheCog (Post 170444)
Scrap prices for steel are about 2-3 cents a pound right now so you might want to make sure you can't reuse some of that steel for your build. Also might want to list them on Craigslist cuz even at selling them for $10 each you'll make more than just scrapping them...if they have built in seat belts they should be worth even more.

Scrap yards will allow about 20% of the weight to be non-metal (fluff)...it just depends on the yard, so you might be wasting your time stripping the foam if you can scrap them as-is.

Thanks for the great advice. It just occurred to me today that i probably wouldn't be able to sell the seats because each seat only has 2 legs on one side as the other end of the seat is attached to the wall.
2-3 cents per lb isn't bad. I think each seat frame is roughly 30 lbs or less.....22 seats.... safe to say $17.00 for all. geeeez.

tobeamiss 11-10-2016 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 170516)
Is he going about this the right way? I have a impact that goes to 650 ft-lbs. I've no idea what size bolts they are but I doubt they would hold together at 650ft-lbs. Even if they shear, he was going to cut them anyway. As long as they shear quick.

Some of them are breaking off... loving it when that happens. I don't know how many lbs this impact wrench goes to, i borrowed it from my brother who's a mechanic.
Any ideas what we can do differently?

tobeamiss 11-10-2016 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 170519)
Indeed.

Tobeamiss,

The property is just outside of Hampton....in Crocketville. The town really doesn't exist anymore and I'm surprised that there's a sign for it.

tobeamiss 11-10-2016 06:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 170529)
in my case its.. 'crap the weather sucks.. Grab a BUS!! and NOT the greyhound!'..

I do like SNOW!!! just not snow and endless grey so yeah I might actually be one of those that would go BACK to Ohio when a massive Blizzard was predicted imminent (thats when snow is fun)...
-Christopher

I'm with you on the endless gray days!!! I'd rather see sunshine or Snow!!!

tobeamiss 11-10-2016 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 170527)

That's me too....Oooh the option of living in whatever climate I feel like at the time is soooo alluring and exciting! I can hardly wait to get this conversion complete and hit the road.
Now if I could just get the d*** seats out! lol

tobeamiss 11-10-2016 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 170516)

It's an IR Titanium and if i knew how to post a picture of it I would. I have to work on that.

Oldmopars 11-10-2016 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeamiss (Post 170881)
It's an IR Titanium and if i knew how to post a picture of it I would. I have to work on that.

I have one of those too, you break bolts and destroy stuff long before the gun gives up. In some ways, almost too much power, almost.

tobeamiss 11-10-2016 09:59 PM

good to know :D
Some of them snap off and some of them I have to cut off. But MOST are hanging tough and come out whole.

DoubleO7 11-12-2016 03:10 PM

if your still under the bus with the socket wrench, get you a large piece of cardboard or cut down a large box to make a tray.
Then punch a hole in the center for the socket extention to go thru it and make yourself an umbrella.
:biggrin:

Brewerbob 11-12-2016 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 170529)

Hence the bus into an RV. This rain sucks. This snow sucks. This heat sucks. This gray sucks. This sun sucks. This ______ sucks.

Quote:

-Christopher
25"+ inches of snow is fun in a pick up. Even more when you don't have to go to work.

Brewerbob 11-12-2016 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeamiss (Post 170875)
Any ideas what we can do differently?

Tighten them and they will all break!!

Brewerbob 11-12-2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeamiss (Post 170877)
The property is just outside of Hampton....in Crocketville. The town really doesn't exist anymore and I'm surprised that there's a sign for it.

Never heard of either I don't think.

cadillackid 11-12-2016 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 171073)
Hence the bus into an RV. This rain sucks. This snow sucks. This heat sucks. This gray sucks. This sun sucks. This ______ sucks.

25"+ inches of snow is fun in a pick up. Even more when you don't have to go to work.

ive always had Jeeps in the snow.. have a silverado now... got it in 15 but it never snowed in ohio much last year so didnt get it out much in the snow..

havent had a school bus out in the snow yet.. dont plan on it either..
-Christopher

Brewerbob 11-12-2016 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 171079)

havent had a school bus out in the snow yet.. dont plan on it either..
-Christopher

Get some bald tires and drift in a 40 ft bus. New bucket list item!!

cadillackid 11-12-2016 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 171080)
Get some bald tires and drift in a 40 ft bus. New bucket list item!!

the drives on the little bluebird are nice tread but still look like they would slide nice in the snow!!.. never done a donut in a school bus but in ohio we got lots of Nice big empty parking lots!..

in the DEV the drives have Gnarly lookin tread so dont imagine I can spin those much..
-Christopher

Brewerbob 11-12-2016 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 171095)
in the DEV the drives have Gnarly lookin tread so dont imagine I can spin those much..
-Christopher

Just means you aren't trying hard enough.