School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   MFR Bus No. 637 (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/mfr-bus-no-637-a-15658.html)

KashMoore31 11-04-2016 10:49 PM

MFR Bus No. 637
 
Hey there! First of all I would like to clarify that MFR stands for Moore Family Racing (I am sure some people would assume something different) and number 637 is our racing number(came up with it by dialing MFR on a phone). So I have been lurking around on here for a month or so taking in a lot of your ideas that I could use on my own skoolie. We were looking for an RV to sleep at least 6 for race weekends. We quickly realized that they weren't affordable which led us to the bus conversion.

We purchased our bus today. A 1998 International RE with a T444 Diesel engine. We picked it up 400 miles from where we live in KY. Everything ran great on the trip back. Although I have two questions. How do you turn the governor up? The bus topped out at 62MPH at about 2200 RPM's. Second question is I kept hearing a buzzing noise coming from behind the panel where all of the switches are. It sounded like the buzzer you would hear if your air pressure wasn't built up. This was not the case. All of the guages were good. Where could that noise be coming from? Thanks for any input!

Brad_SwiftFur 11-05-2016 01:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KashMoore31 (Post 170029)
Although I have two questions. How do you turn the governor up? The bus topped out at 62MPH at about 2200 RPM's.

Need more info. What's the engine revving up to in lower gears? Reaching 2500+ RPM before shifting? Or maxing out at 2200 in all gears?

If it's revving higher in lower gears, then you likely have a computer based top speed governor which will need to be changed in the engine computer.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KashMoore31 (Post 170029)
Second question is I kept hearing a buzzing noise coming from behind the panel where all of the switches are. It sounded like the buzzer you would hear if your air pressure wasn't built up. This was not the case. All of the guages were good. Where could that noise be coming from?

Also need a little more info. Any warning lights?

deftone 11-05-2016 07:50 AM

Fellow International RE/ T444e owner here!

Welcome to the forum, lots of helpful people on here! Have already helped me out a ton already!

Lets see some pics of the new bus!:biggrin:

cowlitzcoach 11-05-2016 09:43 AM

I would agree you have a top speed limiter in the computer. On shifts that engine should be going up to 2600-2700 RPM's. Which should get you up an additional 5-10 MPH. Be aware you will be sucking down a whole lot more fuel going that fast.

In regards to the buzzing, if it sounds like a warning buzzer I would check the roof hatches to make sure they are latched properly. Since they are plastic they tend to not want to reseat properly when they have been opened to check the emergency exit buzzer. It could also be one of the side or rear emergency exits/windows with a switch that isn't closed all the way with the exit/window closed but not as likely as the roof hatches.

cadillackid 11-05-2016 10:20 AM

Most of the T-444E's I have found are limited to 60-62.. some at 55...

my own Opinion is that T-444E's in that half-ass international radiator setup like to run hot... and iot can be the schools also..

I had to remove the speed limiter on my T-444E via the computer interface.. mine was running at the same.. 2200 at 62 or so..

-Christopher

sdwarf36 11-05-2016 12:04 PM

Welcome! Another race hauler here. My short bus with a 7.3 (same engine) turns 2500rpm at 65 mph. Just slowing down 75 to 100 rpm (62-63mph) makes a noticable difference in MPG.

KashMoore31 11-05-2016 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 170073)
Most of the T-444E's I have found are limited to 60-62.. some at 55...

my own Opinion is that T-444E's in that half-ass international radiator setup like to run hot... and iot can be the schools also..

I had to remove the speed limiter on my T-444E via the computer interface.. mine was running at the same.. 2200 at 62 or so..

-Christopher

Once you removed it, what speed were you able to run and at what RPM's?

KashMoore31 11-05-2016 07:51 PM

I can't get the pictures to upload for some reason....

cadillackid 11-05-2016 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KashMoore31 (Post 170142)
Once you removed it, what speed were you able to run and at what RPM's?

the factory has a safe rev limiter at 2700 on my version of the T-444E.. I run self-imposed rev limiter of 2600.. (everything you read says even 100-200 rpm can add longevity to the engine..

how fast you can go all depends on your rear gears, tires, and transmission..

my particular bus will max out at 70 or just above... like 72 when i hit my 2600 RPM...

some schools disabled the cruise control.. this can be re-enabled in the computer.. with a T-444E cruise control is built into the computer regardless of whether you have the dash-switches for it or not.. its really easy to put it on if your bus doesnt have it.. and the cruise doubles as a fully selectable RPM idle speed control..

from the sounds of yours im guessing youll be able to reach close to that 70 MPH mark judging from your RPM when you hit that limited speed...

I drive mine at 65 as it runs really nice there.. my MPG didnt drop much from my 1000 mile maiden voiyge at 62 (before I had the computer program).. and the 65 that i drove it the next 1000 miles..

I'll make a run in it at like 58 next when I bring it back to florida to see how it drives.

the T-444E likes to get Hot on Hot days when you run its RPM up... esp if your fan clutch is weak or doesnt engage soon enough... Heat is very bad for these.. 230 and bad stuff happens or can happen esp if you are running it under load..

I also programmed a couple of Alarms to yell at me.. if I reach 220 degrees coolant temp.. I dont think it has an alarm for oil temp but 250 oil temp is pretty high ... I set an oil pressure alarm as well..
-Christopher

Kubla 11-05-2016 09:38 PM

if not otherwise specified, all internationals leave the factory with a 62 MPH top speed set, I used to deliver new ones

EastCoastCB 11-06-2016 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubla (Post 170156)
if not otherwise specified, all internationals leave the factory with a 62 MPH top speed set, I used to deliver new ones

Did you deliver em in the early 90's?

KashMoore31 11-06-2016 07:36 AM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...69c2af9b89.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...092cbf6dc1.jpg
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/2016...021bd7de33.jpg


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastCoastCB 11-06-2016 08:12 AM

Looks like my bus, only with the engine in the opposite side and with 4" more headroom!
https://s2.quickmeme.com/img/16/16047...9b28cc0629.jpg

cadillackid 11-06-2016 10:23 AM

thats one fine lookin bus!!!
-Christopher

prof.fate 11-06-2016 09:21 PM

Hmm...not sure that's true anymore.
Just finished a month of training at the local school bus company, he's been buying only internationals the past 3 years. Drove 2, did 70 in the one no problem...65 no problem in the other one.
Conventional layout, cummins engine (260hp), wolfington bodies (he doesn't like the bluebirds -rust. Thomas' are the 'budget' models he says).

We have soem older internationals..haven't had one on the hiway yet to know what it will do. "aroudn town" it's much peppier than the new buses (it's pre-def and much more crude inside shall we say). But it's got 85k miles on it instead of 15k or 4k. SO maybe it's just broke in now!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubla (Post 170156)
if not otherwise specified, all internationals leave the factory with a 62 MPH top speed set, I used to deliver new ones


cadillackid 11-06-2016 10:41 PM

im thinking it was true with the T-444E possibly? like I say im not the on;y one who has had a T-444E run hot in summer weather trying to run it fast on the highway... so im wondering if even though the gears may support it and on perhaps only the AT545 versions that they built them speed limited purposely to make sure they were run with lower Loads on the engine..

-Christopher

cowlitzcoach 11-07-2016 02:37 AM

Wolfington may have been the dealer but not the OEM of the bus body.

At one time IC buses were made by the Ward Bus Body Company of Conway, AR.

During the '90's Navistar International purchased a minority position in the company. At that time the Ward body was renamed the AmTrans, short for American Transportation.

By the mid-00's Navistar purchased the rest of AmTrans which then became a stand alone division. At that time the AmTrans company became IC Bus, short for Integrated Coach Bus.

Wolfington Body Company has been a distributor for IC buses for a long time. I can understand why you would think an IC bus was a Wolfington bus when the dealer logo looks almost like an OEM type of nameplate.

deftone 11-07-2016 07:04 AM

Sweet looking bus, you even have belly storage, something I am lacking on mine!

prof.fate 11-07-2016 10:00 AM

That makes sense, thanks.
The do say "IC" on them and the boss calls them international buses, as if they were completely made by international.

The stickers on the back, on the mud flaps say "wolfington body company"..hence my conclusion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach (Post 170256)
Wolfington may have been the dealer but not the OEM of the bus body.

At one time IC buses were made by the Ward Bus Body Company of Conway, AR.

During the '90's Navistar International purchased a minority position in the company. At that time the Ward body was renamed the AmTrans, short for American Transportation.

By the mid-00's Navistar purchased the rest of AmTrans which then became a stand alone division. At that time the AmTrans company became IC Bus, short for Integrated Coach Bus.

Wolfington Body Company has been a distributor for IC buses for a long time. I can understand why you would think an IC bus was a Wolfington bus when the dealer logo looks almost like an OEM type of nameplate.


Brad_SwiftFur 11-07-2016 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prof.fate (Post 170280)
The stickers on the back, on the mud flaps say "Wolfington body company"..hence my conclusion.

Custom printed mudflaps with a company's name or dealer's name are very common. Stickers have been around for ages too.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:21 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.