School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Short-Bus Conversion Projects (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/)
-   -   EastCoastCB's Shorty Thread (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/eastcoastcbs-shorty-thread-17069.html)

EastCoastCB 05-10-2017 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobeamiss (Post 202708)
That's not a bad idea. Put one on each side.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

I'd use steel, so not to have dissimilar metals.
Plus steel diamond plate is way cheaper than Aluminum.:thumb:

tobeamiss 05-10-2017 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 202767)
I'd use steel, so not to have dissimilar metals.
Plus steel diamond plate is way cheaper than Aluminum.:thumb:

:thumb:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

BowserJournal 05-10-2017 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 202625)
That seems to happen whenever a bus I'm bidding on gets mentioned publicly. Oh well, the reserve isn't met anyhow, and I wouldn't pay more than $1500-$2000 for it.

You bidding on another bus?

EastCoastCB 05-10-2017 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BowserJournal (Post 202868)
You bidding on another bus?

I refuse to answer that.
:angel:

Kubla 05-10-2017 09:50 PM

that means yes

EastCoastCB 05-11-2017 08:51 PM

No pics as I was working solo in the SCORCHING heat, but I managed to get a good bit of stuff done on the shorty.
pulled the power vent as it was leaky and rattly and loud. It seemed to do nothing but make noise. So the whole roof is sealed and solid now!
After that I broke in my new pneumatic grease gun with some heavy duty Amsoil synthetic grease. Hit the u joints, front end, and every grease fitting under the bus. I ended up so filthy I had to wash my arms off with gasoline.
After spending some time looking around under there, I've found a couple other little things to fix and address this summer. Overall, its clean and nice, though!
Runs great, and the engine is smoother and quieter after the HotShot's and Diesel Kleen.

Robin97396 05-11-2017 10:18 PM

No vent. I can just see your bus clouding up like a VW Beetle.

EastCoastCB 05-12-2017 06:39 AM

Well, its been too hot to wanna fog out the shorty lately. But we've got at least one vent going up on the roof, maybe two. :biggrin:
Some tint, some curtains, and its gona be perfect!

I think this grease gun was less than thirty bucks! Man, I'm kicking myself for not owning one of these sooner.

https://shop.harborfreight.com/media...mage_19211.jpg

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-gr...ose-68293.html
It DOES need to be primed, but once its packed with grease it works perfectly.

cadillackid 05-12-2017 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 203119)
No pics as I was working solo in the SCORCHING heat, but I managed to get a good bit of stuff done on the shorty.
pulled the power vent as it was leaky and rattly and loud. It seemed to do nothing but make noise. So the whole roof is sealed and solid now!
After that I broke in my new pneumatic grease gun with some heavy duty Amsoil synthetic grease. Hit the u joints, front end, and every grease fitting under the bus. I ended up so filthy I had to wash my arms off with gasoline.
After spending some time looking around under there, I've found a couple other little things to fix and address this summer. Overall, its clean and nice, though!
Runs great, and the engine is smoother and quieter after the HotShot's and Diesel Kleen.

I locve diesel KLEEN, havent tried the hotshots yet.. is that the oil additive or the fuel additive?
-Christopher

cadillackid 05-12-2017 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin97396 (Post 203141)
No vent. I can just see your bus clouding up like a VW Beetle.

school busses have enough other leaks the vents wont make much difference..

I need to get rid of them on mine, all they do is suck my Air-conditioning out.. and when its 101 out I need all the A/C i can get
-Christopher

EastCoastCB 05-12-2017 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 203178)
I locve diesel KLEEN, havent tried the hotshots yet.. is that the oil additive or the fuel additive?
-Christopher

I'm sticking with DK for the fuel, and am using HS oil additive.
Bus is running smoother and quieter than before!

EastCoastCB 05-12-2017 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 203179)
school busses have enough other leaks the vents wont make much difference..

I need to get rid of them on mine, all they do is suck my Air-conditioning out.. and when its 101 out I need all the A/C i can get
-Christopher

The "power vent" was in reality a big, passive vent.
THe ride home with it patched over was MUCH cooler. Turns out it was pulling engine heat toward me just like you describe!

cadillackid 05-12-2017 07:30 AM

ivew been doing a lot of reading on the HS and I also hear about it when I listen driving late at night on americas truckin network - seems like the real deal.. did you just pour it in with a fresh oil change and go?

im more hip to the idea since it seems changing the filter in my RACOR nearly stopped all my oil seepage.. my crankcase pressure mustve been blasted high... my bus definitely runs better when i run a 1/2 bottle of DK in each tankfull.. (I only have 25 gallon tank so 1/2 bottle is perfect).
-Christopher

EastCoastCB 05-12-2017 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 203190)
ivew been doing a lot of reading on the HS and I also hear about it when I listen driving late at night on americas truckin network - seems like the real deal.. did you just pour it in with a fresh oil change and go?

im more hip to the idea since it seems changing the filter in my RACOR nearly stopped all my oil seepage.. my crankcase pressure mustve been blasted high... my bus definitely runs better when i run a 1/2 bottle of DK in each tankfull.. (I only have 25 gallon tank so 1/2 bottle is perfect).
-Christopher

Yeah, I can feel and hear the difference from running DK. I run it in both my buses regularly.
The oil additive- you just pour it in. I did it 200 miles into this oil change interval.
I'd add the "initial" cleaning dose of it toward the END of an OCI, personally.
Then I'd do the full oil change and use the regular, "maintenance" amount.
Seems like its really made my engine a bit quieter. I'm gonna buy two more jugs of the oil additive at Tractor Supply while its on sale for $10 off. Sale goes till the 2nd of june.:thumb:

BlackJohn 05-12-2017 07:59 AM

hey CB, nice toy that grease gun is and manual too! Any chance you could take it to a council meeting and give them all a rectal injection for good measure. Might just help them see tthings as we do in your case.

John:wink1:

EastCoastCB 05-12-2017 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackJohn (Post 203196)
hey CB, nice toy that grease gun is and manual too! Any chance you could take it to a council meeting and give them all a rectal injection for good measure. Might just help them see tthings as we do in your case.

John:wink1:

IDK if I have enough air line to reach city hall, and the compressor is all the way out at my buddys place where my big bus is sitting.

They're playing nice, at least for now. They've given me an extension on my bus removal order, pending my paperwork to submit to prove its titled and registered as an RV. Once I submit that to them, I'll simply have to park it according to the standard RV parking ordinances, which are very lax and liberal.
I'm gonna go the extra step of putting up some privacy fence on that side of the property so I can hoard more mopeds and mowers and stuff and not have any future code issues.

WanderWoman 05-15-2017 08:46 PM

I want a shorty for local driving. Keep an eye out for me [emoji4]
Yours is coming along!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EastCoastCB 05-15-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderWoman (Post 203805)
I want a shorty for local driving. Keep an eye out for me [emoji4]
Yours is coming along!!

I'll keep my eyes open. :smile:

WanderWoman 05-15-2017 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 203813)
I'll keep my eyes open. :smile:

[emoji106] thanks!

cadillackid 05-16-2017 05:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WanderWoman (Post 203814)
[emoji106] thanks!

ha!! maybe EC and i have started a trendx.. Skoolies as daily drivers!
-Christopher