School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Short-Bus Conversion Projects (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/)
-   -   EastCoastCB's Shorty Thread (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/eastcoastcbs-shorty-thread-17069.html)

EastCoastCB 06-06-2017 08:22 PM

Started up the diesel mower today. Started real easy once I figured out how to turn the fuel petcock on.
Mows REAL nice!!!

Robin97396 06-06-2017 09:16 PM

In this area most of that government equipment, like mowers and tractors, are sold off with plugged up fuel filters or simple leaking fuel hoses.

EastCoastCB 06-06-2017 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin97396 (Post 207643)
In this area most of that government equipment, like mowers and tractors, are sold off with plugged up fuel filters or simple leaking fuel hoses.

The guards and inmates didn't like the push mowers, so these were BARELY USED!
I'd say they definitely had less than 500 hours on em.

I've never messed with a single cylinder diesel. This little thing is SO COOL! When mowing, it smells like a school bus.:smile:

WIbluebird 06-06-2017 11:28 PM

https://publicsurplus.com/sms/list/current?orgid=309249

That district in WV is listing two of those T444 shorties with the Spicer manual transmissions again. At least they added some more photos this time around. Seems like they're similiar in length to your bus. The 1998 and the two 1999 buses must've sold at the last auction.

EastCoastCB 06-07-2017 06:02 AM

At this point I'll have to pass on these. I've bid on them for at LEAST a year. They top out at 55mph, too.

cadillackid 06-07-2017 08:13 AM

im not sure where they came from but I passed 4 shorties in a caravan northward in kentucky last night.. 2 bluebirds like mine only 7 window. and 2 that looked just like EC's. 2 of them were T-444E's, and 2 had unmarked hoods.. not sure what those wouldve been.. seems not so many shorties on auction lately so not sure where they came from.. i did note I BLEW by them in my Silverado so they were only going like 55 or so..

EC - on that mower is it a PITA to pull the cord with a diesel engine? or is it one of those where you spring load the starter with the pull and then release it to actually spin?
-Christopher

EastCoastCB 06-07-2017 11:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 207708)
im not sure where they came from but I passed 4 shorties in a caravan northward in kentucky last night.. 2 bluebirds like mine only 7 window. and 2 that looked just like EC's. 2 of them were T-444E's, and 2 had unmarked hoods.. not sure what those wouldve been.. seems not so many shorties on auction lately so not sure where they came from.. i did note I BLEW by them in my Silverado so they were only going like 55 or so..

EC - on that mower is it a PITA to pull the cord with a diesel engine? or is it one of those where you spring load the starter with the pull and then release it to actually spin?
-Christopher

Its not hard to start it, but I pull start stuff ALL DAY.
You just push the decompression lever and pull the cord. 1-2 pulls and its ALIVE!

Saw some buses heading down 75 from GA. They were headed to a used car lot in Lakeland.
https://i.imgur.com/cLqS2em.jpg

cadillackid 06-07-2017 12:11 PM

so it has a lever that decompresses the cylinder until you get it spinning?

EastCoastCB 06-07-2017 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 207766)
so it has a lever that decompresses the cylinder until you get it spinning?

Yeah, you pull the cord just a tad till its a compression stroke, push down the decomp lever, and then pull start it.
So simple, powerful, and efficient!

1olfart 06-09-2017 03:34 PM

WC Door
 
I don't recall where you are on your w/c door, but I did get over to a place that I passed on Interstate 10, East of Houston. They told me that they did deal in parts, as well as busses, and gave me a business card. Their site is

usedschoolbusesonline.com Phone # 855-607-6559

Also went by interstatebus@gmail.com AND interstatebusrentals.com

They weren't too chatty, with me, but I mentioned you had a AmTram and might need a w/c door. They needed the size, which I didn't know, so they said to check the website.

Good luck

cadillackid 06-09-2017 06:43 PM

ive noticed some newer IC busses that what looks like the exact same wheelchair door.. wonder if getting the VIN on a newer bus would help,

Paul's equiupment in ohio sometimes has quite a few scrapped out school busses..
-Christopher

EastCoastCB 06-10-2017 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1olfart (Post 208131)
I don't recall where you are on your w/c door, but I did get over to a place that I passed on Interstate 10, East of Houston. They told me that they did deal in parts, as well as busses, and gave me a business card. Their site is

usedschoolbusesonline.com Phone # 855-607-6559

Also went by interstatebus@gmail.com AND interstatebusrentals.com

They weren't too chatty, with me, but I mentioned you had a AmTram and might need a w/c door. They needed the size, which I didn't know, so they said to check the website.

Good luck

Thanks I'll try them monday. I REALLY NEED THAT WC DOOR SEAL!

EastCoastCB 06-10-2017 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 208141)
ive noticed some newer IC busses that what looks like the exact same wheelchair door.. wonder if getting the VIN on a newer bus would help,

Paul's equiupment in ohio sometimes has quite a few scrapped out school busses..
-Christopher

Thanks! ANY leads appreciated.
I've tried looking on the web for IC, AmTran, Ward, and had no luck. I hate calling places. IDK why but I just do. Guess I need to make more calls. I'm getting to that point of NEEDING these few parts and its holding me up a bit.

EastCoastCB 06-10-2017 08:24 AM

I cut the rust hole out of the back, and the entire inside behind it was completely crumbling with rust.
https://i.imgur.com/QSJlnGq.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/cXRRBxZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/J4618V8.jpg

cadillackid 06-10-2017 09:00 AM

wow what a pain that is.. looks like that back window mustve leaked for awhile.. my carpenter bus the back windows are sloped just a little and water always runs down along those windows... not sure why they built busses that way but ive seen a lot..
-Christopher

EastCoastCB 06-10-2017 09:04 AM

Yup, you're correct. It was the back window leaking, as well as the tail light.
The fiberglass that came out was MOLDY too.https://i.imgur.com/z0jTUU5.jpg

1olfart 06-10-2017 12:48 PM

You may check to see if you can get a complete door, with seal. Not the cheapest way, but might be 'the way'

EastCoastCB 06-10-2017 03:30 PM

IDK where I'd find that.
The few I've found online don't have the seal the door is hundreds and hundreds of dollars.

CaptSquid 06-10-2017 06:22 PM

That's some NASTY cancer there.

EastCoastCB 06-10-2017 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaptSquid (Post 208298)
That's some NASTY cancer there.

Everything in that rear wall under the window that wasn't galvanized rusted completely away. GONE!
The rest of the bus is virtually rust free. only the WC door and service door have any real rust otherwise.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.