School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Short-Bus Conversion Projects (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/)
-   -   EastCoastCB's Shorty Thread (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/eastcoastcbs-shorty-thread-17069.html)

Robin97396 06-10-2017 11:29 PM

If you're going to take a trip across the country sometime you're almost sure to find another door during the trip.

Is this the same mower you got?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7PAva7Gg0wSCUF 640 480 - govliquidation.com


I can't tell if this one is diesel or not.

EastCoastCB 06-10-2017 11:57 PM

No I'm not a big fan of Toro. We use some brand new commercial Toros, but I don't buy them.
The mower I just got is a Sarlo.
https://i.imgur.com/nGxGMSw.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Dg2l4Av.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/auQWHh2.jpg

EastCoastCB 06-10-2017 11:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin97396 (Post 208377)
If you're going to take a trip across the country sometime you're almost sure to find another door during the trip.

Is this the same mower you got?

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...7PAva7Gg0wSCUF 640 480 - govliquidation.com


I can't tell if this one is diesel or not.

I had one of those. A 36".
The belt drive tore up yards real bad. Parts were imossible to find, too.
The engine is worth more than the mower, according to the guy I sold it to from CL.

Robin97396 06-11-2017 12:17 AM

I was interested in one of those small diesel engines, like in your new to you mower, as a power source for a small diesel generator. Wasn't sure of the brand. Thanks.

EastCoastCB 06-11-2017 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin97396 (Post 208385)
I was interested in one of those small diesel engines, like in your new to you mower, as a power source for a small diesel generator. Wasn't sure of the brand. Thanks.

They sell generators with these engines.
https://sc02.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1LEmUK...-generator.jpg

Robin97396 06-11-2017 12:45 AM

That would be one of my top pics anyway. Maybe I won't re-invent the wheel this time?

tobeamiss 06-11-2017 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208211)
I cut the rust hole out of the back, and the entire inside behind it

I have the same stuff going on here. Everyone (my family) says that I should probably remove the inside wall as well and get at it from that angle too. I really didn't want to do that but it looks like I might have to!!
Oh wait...Is that the rust on your door?
Mine is under the license plate and on the other side under the tail lights.


Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

cadillackid 06-11-2017 07:15 AM

When BGA painted the dev bus, they took out the window , and worked some of the rust from the light holes , mine was more around the window frame.

I'm wondering if you suck out as much loose as you can, then ospho the heck out of everything in there,,and cover the outside corners with like diamond plate or such. Resealing the lights and window should stop new water from getting in.
Christopher

EastCoastCB 06-11-2017 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 208403)
When BGA painted the dev bus, they took out the window , and worked some of the rust from the light holes , mine was more around the window frame.

I'm wondering if you suck out as much loose as you can, then ospho the heck out of everything in there,,and cover the outside corners with like diamond plate or such. Resealing the lights and window should stop new water from getting in.
Christopher

That's more or less our plan.
We got some of the GOOD Rust Reformer coming, will use it liberally.
Probably gonna remove the interior panel behind the damage and asses it from there.
The hinges are REALLY rusty and the metal they screw into is deteriorating.
May have to REALLY rebuild the ass end on that side!:nonono:

Brewerbob 06-12-2017 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208192)
Thanks I'll try them monday. I REALLY NEED THAT WC DOOR SEAL!

Thomas, International, and Blue Bird were at the scrap yard that I wandered Sat. They had a few with WC doors. No Am Tran buses. Is your door the same as any of those? Is it replaceable with any of those? The ones I opened and looked at all had flat gaskets. Stupid easy to replace so those couldn't be the same.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208211)
I cut the rust hole out of the back, and the entire inside behind it was completely crumbling with rust.

Ouch that's some nasty stuff there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208375)
Everything in that rear wall under the window that wasn't galvanized rusted completely away. GONE!
The rest of the bus is virtually rust free. only the WC door and service door have any real rust otherwise.

Without seeing it first hand, you're going to need to do some SERIOUS rebuild or bite the bullet for a new door especially without a metal brake, hammers, ... hell a metal fab shop.

EastCoastCB 06-12-2017 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 208568)
Thomas, International, and Blue Bird were at the scrap yard that I wandered Sat. They had a few with WC doors. No Am Tran buses. Is your door the same as any of those? Is it replaceable with any of those? The ones I opened and looked at all had flat gaskets. Stupid easy to replace so those couldn't be the same.


Ouch that's some nasty stuff there.



Without seeing it first hand, you're going to need to do some SERIOUS rebuild or bite the bullet for a new door especially without a metal brake, hammers, ... hell a metal fab shop.

I think the door can be repaired. I can get a new, fabricated lower edge of the door from a bus body parts supplier for $115.
All I'm REALLY NEEDING really bad is the seal around the door. That sucker's elusive!

Tootalltechie 06-12-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208570)
I think the door can be repaired. I can get a new, fabricated lower edge of the door from a bus body parts supplier for $115.
All I'm REALLY NEEDING really bad is the seal around the door. That sucker's elusive!

Have you tried these guys?

https://www.busparts.com/doors.html

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Brewerbob 06-12-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208570)
I think the door can be repaired. I can get a new, fabricated lower edge of the door from a bus body parts supplier for $115.
All I'm REALLY NEEDING really bad is the seal around the door. That sucker's elusive!

Does this mean you are cutting the door in half and welding the bottom back on? And have it straight... <-- me and straight is what I'd worry about.

At that point, wouldn't it be easier to build a door from scratch and/or modify the hinges of another?

EastCoastCB 06-12-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tootalltechie (Post 208581)
Have you tried these guys?

School Bus Door Parts

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

YES. They've been suggested several times in this thread.
I've called them and they actually don't have anything for my bus at all.
They don't even have any amtran parts, just a few. IDK why they say they have amtran parts when they really don't.
Super friendly folks, but they have nothing.

EastCoastCB 06-12-2017 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brewerbob (Post 208585)
Does this mean you are cutting the door in half and welding the bottom back on? And have it straight... <-- me and straight is what I'd worry about.

At that point, wouldn't it be easier to build a door from scratch and/or modify the hinges of another?

Its a repair panel. Pretty easy to fix, man. Body shops do this stuff all the time.
Its a pretty common rust area according to the folks I talked to.International - Amtram | Custom Bus and Truck Panels

they have this-
Quote:

Part # INAT112
INAT112 Handicap door repair cap for bottom of door. 44" L X 7" T
you cut away the rusty flanged bottom and weld the new pieces in. Smooth the joints and it would look good as new.
They're also going to be selling the whole door soon. But I'd imagine that sucker is expensive.

Brewerbob 06-12-2017 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208589)
Its a repair panel. Pretty easy to fix, man. Body shops do this stuff all the time.
Its a pretty common rust area according to the folks I talked to.International - Amtram | Custom Bus and Truck Panels

Link is just a frame (no graphics). Replacing skin doesn't worry me. Replacing framing does. Keeping it square and true. Especially something like a door that's hinged and loaded weird. Granted you're replacing the bottom, not the hinged side but still.

Guess I need more practice. I'd love to find a scrap yard full of stuff like that (doors, windows, whatever) and just go to town practicing. I think I am going to go back to the scrap yard with the buses. They had some angle iron and square tubing. I think the tubing was 1 1/2" stuff. They had some 2" thick walled stuff too. I should get a bunch for building more basement storage and/or racks for water tanks. The guy quoted me 25 cent a lb. I know the scrap price for selling is only 4 cents a lb but I've no idea if that's a good price for buying or not.

Robin97396 06-12-2017 11:51 AM

Out here they charge 50 cents a pound for usable scrap. The scrap yards have developed a whole side industry out of setting up a usable scrap steel yard to select items from.

Brewerbob 06-12-2017 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin97396 (Post 208604)
Out here they charge 50 cents a pound for usable scrap. The scrap yards have developed a whole side industry out of setting up a usable scrap steel yard to select items from.

They can suck some nuts!!! 4 cents to 25 cents is a 650% profit. How many companies can claim that?

chev49 06-12-2017 01:20 PM

another thing that works for decal removal is ones 4000 lb hot water pressure washer, and is the same thing for removing decals, grease on heavy equipment prior to resale
t

Brewerbob 06-12-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chev49 (Post 208615)
another thing that works for decal removal is ones 4000 lb hot water pressure washer, and is the same thing for removing decals, grease on heavy equipment prior to resale
t

4000 and hot?!? That'll remove flesh from bone while cooking it. Honey have you seen the cat lately?:whistling:

Robin97396 06-12-2017 02:12 PM

No Honey, but we're having something interesting for dinner.

Tootalltechie 06-12-2017 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208588)
YES. They've been suggested several times in this thread.
I've called them and they actually don't have anything for my bus at all.
They don't even have any amtran parts, just a few. IDK why they say they have amtran parts when they really don't.
Super friendly folks, but they have nothing.

That SUCKS 😣

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 01:23 PM

Still no leads on the seal.

And man, what a horrible bunch of idiots on CL! I've responded to every ad advertising paint services and they just won't seem to give me an estimate. they ask me what my budget is...

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 01:51 PM

So- I called the local Navistar/IC bus dealer. They can't get the seal. They have no idea where to look.
I got a bit frustrated when they told me to call AmTran. I had to tell them they ARE AmTran. At least after 92/93. By 98 Navistar had to have been building these buses. Right?

pepepito 06-13-2017 02:20 PM

I had a similar rust problem as you do although my bus is a bluebird Chevy express cab type and when I called Dynamic they wanted 300 CAD for each panel not including the window or seal and I knew my door was rusted too but I didn't want to ask the price and in Vancouver BC there is no Bus wreckers but I was lucky to find last week someone parting out a but like mine so I too booth panels with windows and the back door with no rust for 300. I was so desperate that I was contemplating to drive to a yard in WA to get the parts.

I hope you find them somewhere.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 02:24 PM

I've got feelers out everywhere.
We may just get a big rv door and make that work.

Kubla 06-13-2017 03:32 PM

Can't you just get some of the universal rubber bead seal and use that?

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kubla (Post 208868)
Can't you just get some of the universal rubber bead seal and use that?

Nah, man, see the pics of the seal and door edge.
I'm either gonna have to retrofit an rv door, or have a new door fabbed. Possibly could mod the current door, idk.
This sucks.
The navistar dealer can't even help.
I may have to make sure all my buses are BlueBird in the future, they seem to have plenty of parts for everything.

jazty 06-13-2017 03:47 PM

I resealed my back door with Trim-lok 2828BT. Real nice fit and not a single leak even after several years! It comes in black and white. I wasn't able to locate it on Amazon, but I think that's where I originally got some. Or eBay.. can always buy direct from Trim-Lok.


https://www.trimlok.com/secure/conte...105b_290_0.jpg
https://www.factoryrvsurplus.com/gall...2201/2928w.JPG

jazty 06-13-2017 03:51 PM

Just read your most recent post. So the D-shape seal probably won't work. I couldn't find a good picture of your door to see what might fit on it, but the Trim-Lok website does have an assortment of seal types. See anything on there that might work?

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 03:59 PM

Here's the cross section of the seal, and the channel in the door edge it fits into.
https://i.imgur.com/LbJctV4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0AsxhPM.jpg


Here's how it fits onto the door
https://i.imgur.com/1KNQK4Q.jpg
https://https://i.imgur.com/IAO9rLt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xl3SQ3c.jpg

jazty 06-13-2017 04:19 PM

Ewww :)

It does look like there's a lip on the door frame that could take some standard d-shaped weather stripping. Assuming the lip is wide enough to engage the door...

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 04:33 PM

Yeah, then I'd just need to weld the edges of the door closed so they don't have that silly wide channel exposed all around the door when its shut.

jazty 06-13-2017 04:37 PM

OR clean rust, prep.... Bondo! Those edges could be made oh so smooth..

jazty 06-13-2017 04:37 PM

Mind you, that'd be a couple tins of Bondo to fill all that gap..

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 04:42 PM

IDk, but I gotta figure something out this is silly.

oricha1984 06-13-2017 04:48 PM

Maybe you can just get rid of the door and weld a sheet of metal or the door itself.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Tootalltechie 06-13-2017 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208883)
Here's the cross section of the seal, and the channel in the door edge it fits into.
https://i.imgur.com/LbJctV4.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0AsxhPM.jpg


Here's how it fits onto the door
https://i.imgur.com/1KNQK4Q.jpg
https://https://i.imgur.com/IAO9rLt.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/xl3SQ3c.jpg

That seal looks great for holding moisture in the groove.
Could you use a cut off wheel to remove the channel and then use a large stick on "D" seal and a stick on flat seal? 2 seals to work as 1

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oricha1984 (Post 208898)
Maybe you can just get rid of the door and weld a sheet of metal or the door itself.

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

But its the biggest, best door on the bus!

Robin97396 06-13-2017 06:30 PM

I say it's worth keeping the door. Weld on a few patches, smooth it up and paint it tiffany like the rest.

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robin97396 (Post 208912)
I say it's worth keeping the door. Weld on a few patches, smooth it up and paint it tiffany like the rest.

That's what I want.
I'm just gonna get creative a bit I suppose. Its too cool an opening to lose.

Man, the CL folks who reply about painting are sure a weird and pushy lot!
ANYONE IN FL GOOD WITH SPRAYING?

2kool4skool 06-13-2017 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 208917)
That's what I want.
I'm just gonna get creative a bit I suppose. Its too cool an opening to lose.

Man, the CL folks who reply about painting are sure a weird and pushy lot!
ANYONE IN FL GOOD WITH SPRAYING?

Knew a few painters.... 2 words.. Paint Fumes. :frown:

oricha1984 06-13-2017 08:04 PM

That guy that suggested to get rid of the door is a noob.

Why do u need painters dude. Can't u rent the spray machine and do it yourself?

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk

Dog Rescuer 06-13-2017 08:07 PM

I am not good at Spraying - but I helped my nephew with my bus. If you have the paint and sprayer - I would be happy to come up and give it a whirl!

And definitely keep the door.

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 08:07 PM

Well I've taken auto body class and sprayed a few cars in my teens, but I'm looking for someone GOOD at spraying to get a really nice finish.
Looking to go that extra mile and have a really nice paint job.
the big bus will likely be rustoleum as usual. And I'll definitely do all that myself.
But Im wanting this daily driver bus to have a bit more pizzazz than the average conversion.
Gonna look great with that big chrome duck and big chrome pipe!

EastCoastCB 06-13-2017 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dog Rescuer (Post 208928)
I am not good at Spraying - but I helped my nephew with my bus. If you have the paint and sprayer - I would be happy to come up and give it a whirl!

And definitely keep the door.

If you're decent with an hvlp gun maybe we can work something out!:thumb:

cadillackid 06-13-2017 09:39 PM

the duck and the stacks are gonna MAKE this bus!!
-Christopher

EastCoastCB 06-14-2017 05:19 PM

Fingers crossed...
Midwest Transit says they can special order me the seal for the WC door. $300... pretty steep, but I've only got $1700 in this bus and that seal would really MAKE the "restoration".
I can get the door repaired and rust proofed for very little $.
What yall think?
I think I may order that seal tomorrow!

Tootalltechie 06-14-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 209086)
Fingers crossed...
Midwest Transit says they can special order me the seal for the WC door. $300... pretty steep, but I've only got $1700 in this bus and that seal would really MAKE the "restoration".
I can get the door repaired and rust proofed for very little $.
What yall think?
I think I may order that seal tomorrow!

That's great news except for the cost.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

EastCoastCB 06-14-2017 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tootalltechie (Post 209095)
That's great news except for the cost.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk

Yeah, but I don't mind paying for quality, or for essentials.
I honestly figured it would be at least a couple hundo.
Its such a sweet SWEET lil bus it may be worth it I think.

Another thing I'm trying to figure out is what tail lights to go with.
I like the flanged type semi's all have, so I may go with those.

I wish all you smart, creative folks were close by. We need more get-togethers.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.