School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   International | Navistar Drivetrain (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/)
-   -   Identify transmission through VIN number (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/identify-transmission-through-vin-number-21073.html)

Pine Sap 02-08-2018 12:00 PM

Identify transmission through VIN number
 
Greetings All,

I'm trying to identify which Allison transmission is used in a 2006 Freightliner/Thomas short school bus with a Mercedes 6.4 Liter diesel engine, F65 body. The VIN is 4uzaawct46cu72666. I'm not getting any results for transmission type in a web search. Anyone have info on this? Thank you most kindly! -N

Kubla 02-08-2018 12:47 PM

Call the freightliner dealer with the VIN

Rusty 02-08-2018 03:01 PM

Allison 2000 and MD3060 automatic

Jolly Roger bus 223 02-08-2018 04:52 PM

I was just work around a shop that was doing an in frame rebuild on a big Mercedes diesel.
They don't like them but actually do quite a few.
A new engine of that size is 27'000$
And a rebuild is (only?) 16,000$.
And I know others with the big work vans with the Mercedes in them that is probably closer to the size you are looking at and they constantly have problems with them and finding a mechanic that can figure out the problem.
But like them when they actually run.

Pine Sap 02-08-2018 05:54 PM

Took your advice Kubla and called a couple of dealers. The model is 2500 PTS which is the 2500 series transmission. From what I have read, it seems to be a respectable transmission although I have not yet determined if it can "lockup in top gear and will be night and day better at pulling a load and operating at highway speeds" (Brokedown contribution in a former discussion) or "provide engine braking" (Tango).

And, Jolly Roger Bus, in my search for a bus one of the most perplexing things is the wide divergence of opinions about engine reliability etc, etc. Prior to your reporting, I had come to think that in general, the 6.4 liter Mercedes was a fairly well respected and reliable diesel engine? This one has about 136,000 miles on it and is retired from a school.

Twigg 02-08-2018 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine Sap (Post 251175)
Took your advice Kubla and called a couple of dealers. The model is 2500 PTS which is the 2500 series transmission. From what I have read, it seems to be a respectable transmission although I have not yet determined if it can "lockup in top gear and will be night and day better at pulling a load and operating at highway speeds" (Brokedown contribution in a former discussion) or "provide engine braking" (Tango).

And Jolly Roger Bus, in my search for a bus one of the most perplexing things is the wide divergence of opinions about engine reliability etc, etc. Prior to your reporting, I had come to think that in general, the 6.4 liter Mercedes was a fairly well respected and reliable diesel engine? This one has about 136,000 miles on it and is retired from a school.

This will help you:

https://www.carolinathomas.com/wp-co...ors-manual.pdf

Jolly Roger bus 223 02-08-2018 06:27 PM

I was working at an Allison shop this week and had them look a friends serial number up and he was a 2200 MH meant motor home. So now I want to know what PTS is?
I know what PTSD is before it ever was a thing?
Can you get tranny serial numbers?
I am gone from the job but might get a day there in a couple of weeks.

Twigg 02-08-2018 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 (Post 251181)
I was working at an Allison shop this week and had them look a friends serial number up and he was a 2200 MH meant motor home. So now I want to know what PTS is?
I know what PTSD is before it ever was a thing?
Can you get tranny serial numbers?
I am gone from the job but might get a day there in a couple of weeks.

I believe "PTS" is Pupil Transport/Shuttle Series

Pine Sap 02-08-2018 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 (Post 251181)
I was working at an Allison shop this week and had them look a friends serial number up and he was a 2200 MH meant motor home. So now I want to know what PTS is?
I know what PTSD is before it ever was a thing?
Can you get tranny serial numbers?
I am gone from the job but might get a day there in a couple of weeks.

Model is 2500PTS

Serial # 6310467760

Thank you!

Jolly Roger bus 223 02-08-2018 06:52 PM

Guess I need to get my head into the game TWIGG.
As long as I can keep that Detroit/Allison shop happy I can get whatever I ask when I am there.
Just starting the parts game with them but so,far they are very receptive.
But the building owner did use fleabay heaters with NO manual?
So piped in for propane and don't know what the unit is set up for until fire up but even if good for propane they will have NG in two months so I have two go back for a conversion either way.
Buy the time all that happens they won't need heaters.

Pine Sap 02-08-2018 06:58 PM

The Owners Manual link Steve provided confirms the abbreviation on the cover page.

Rusty 02-08-2018 07:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Sorry, I thought I answered this already.

The F65 MBE is used with the 2000 series and the Md3060.

Let me know if you need any more help.


Attachment 18999

Pine Sap 02-08-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 251198)
Sorry, I thought I answered this already.

The F65 MBE is used with the 2000 series and the Md3060.

Let me know if you need any more help.


Attachment 18999

Rusty - Any thoughts on how well the 2500 transmission will hold up if I should want to tow a pickup truck?

Rusty 02-08-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine Sap (Post 251202)
Rusty - Any thoughts on how well the 2500 transmission will hold up if I should want to tow a pickup truck?

I don't even know what a pickup truck is anymore. Ford Ranger or F350 4x4 dually?

It will tow it fine until it doesn't. How the trans was maintained and used before you got it plays a large factor.

I usually defer to the guys who made it for torque and towing capacities.

https://www.allisontransmission.com/d...k.pdf?sfvrsn=2

cap 15K Kg = 33K lbs

I'd want the md3060 here if F/S pickup.

MD3060 is good for 60K . I have it in my bus.

https://jexler.s3.amazonaws.com/safa...60%20specs.pdf

EastCoastCB 02-08-2018 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pine Sap (Post 251175)
Took your advice Kubla and called a couple of dealers. The model is 2500 PTS which is the 2500 series transmission. From what I have read, it seems to be a respectable transmission although I have not yet determined if it can "lockup in top gear and will be night and day better at pulling a load and operating at highway speeds" (Brokedown contribution in a former discussion) or "provide engine braking" (Tango).

And, Jolly Roger Bus, in my search for a bus one of the most perplexing things is the wide divergence of opinions about engine reliability etc, etc. Prior to your reporting, I had come to think that in general, the 6.4 liter Mercedes was a fairly well respected and reliable diesel engine? This one has about 136,000 miles on it and is retired from a school.

Yes it has lockup.
I have that transmission and IMO its a real dandy!

Rusty 02-08-2018 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 251227)
Yes it has lockup.
I have that transmission and IMO its a real dandy!

It's a dandy, but too lightweight for his purposes.

EastCoastCB 02-08-2018 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 251238)
It's a dandy, but too lightweight for his purposes.

Its whats in the bus in question, man. It has a 6.4 mercedes.

Rusty 02-08-2018 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 251248)
Its whats in the bus in question, man. It has a 6.4 mercedes.

Oh, I thought he asked me if he could tow a pickup truck with that trans.

Allison 2500 trans is only rated for 33,000 lbs and it's a big bus. I was shocked at how low it is capable of, as well.

EastCoastCB 02-08-2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 251249)
Oh, I thought he asked me if he could tow a pickup truck with that trans.

Allison 2500 trans is only rated for 33,000 lbs and it's a big bus. I was shocked at how low it is capable of, as well.

its leaps and bounds better than a 545.
It would tow a pickup just fine, imo.

Pine Sap 02-09-2018 08:46 AM

I should be more specific. I would be towing a 1987 Toyota Land Cruiser with a curb weight of 4,426 pounds. So, if I am understanding this correctly, when considering the towing capability of a given transmission, both the towing and towed vehicle weights must be taken into consideration?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.