School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Short-Bus Conversion Projects (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/)
-   -   1973 Ford B-Series Short Bus (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/1973-ford-b-series-short-bus-21112.html)

turglar 02-10-2018 07:19 PM

1973 Ford B-Series Short Bus

4 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone!

Happy to join Skoolie with my new purchase - a 1973 Ford B-Series Short Bus! I figured I'd just post photos of it and then add photos of what all I'm doing along the way. As of now, the bus's seats have all been removed, some of the windows have been removed for resealing, and the floor has been coated with a rust-phobic base coat. Holes around the exterior and interior of the bus have all been puttied over and we're almost ready for designing our layout. Runs and drives great and has very little body rust!

Can't wait to get started, and while I'm sure I'll have frustrations along the way, I'm glad to have such a great community to ask questions of!

Yuuyia_Takahashi 02-10-2018 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turglar (Post 251581)
Hey everyone!

Happy to join Skoolie with my new purchase - a 1973 Ford B-Series Short Bus! I figured I'd just post photos of it and then add photos of what all I'm doing along the way. As of now, the bus's seats have all been removed, some of the windows have been removed for resealing, and the floor has been coated with a rust-phobic base coat. Holes around the exterior and interior of the bus have all been puttied over and we're almost ready for designing our layout. Runs and drives great and has very little body rust!

Can't wait to get started, and while I'm sure I'll have frustrations along the way, I'm glad to have such a great community to ask questions of!

Welcome!
That bus has a crazy cool looking front end.

o1marc 02-10-2018 07:59 PM

Welcome to the addiction. Now fill out your profile so we know who you are and where you're from for more accurate responses to any questions you may have.

Robin97396 02-10-2018 09:18 PM

Nice bus. What you got under the hood?

I've got a very similar 5 window with a 300 6 and a five speed.

turglar 02-11-2018 01:17 AM

Yeah! And the white grill is stock!

turglar 02-11-2018 01:18 AM

330 cu in (5.4 L) Ford FT V8.

Tango 02-11-2018 12:07 PM

What an old sweetheart! Happy to see another "classic" being brought back to life.

Goosetavi 02-13-2018 12:57 AM

Oh yesss, love to see other classic buses still lurking about!

aaron.e.french 02-17-2018 10:24 AM

looks a lot like my bus! 1976 B-500 https://photos.app.goo.gl/gyxHwXa5mdGCmfFJ3

aaron.e.french 02-24-2018 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turglar (Post 251683)
330 cu in (5.4 L) Ford FT V8.

do you have more pictures of the engine?

aaron.e.french 02-24-2018 10:54 AM

I'm curious to know how similar our buses are. I haven't come across many like ours.

aaron.e.french 02-26-2018 04:23 PM

Bed is in!

4 Attachment(s)
We Finally put the mattress in yesterday. It's beginning to feel more complete. The old house needs to sell soon so we can finish up on the road!

turglar 04-07-2018 01:29 PM

First Obstacles

Okay guys...

So in transit from Springfield, MO to St. Louis, MO, we encountered a few problems that I'm gonna list:
  1. While driving, we hit a blizzard and we realized that our right windshield wiper was not working (bad news in a blizzard haha).
  2. Heater isn't working (again, bad news in a blizzard haha).
  3. In addition to not working, we also have to replace the windshield wipers entirely.
  4. While driving, we had a strange backfire which basically killed the electrical systems on the bus. I'm not exactly sure what went wrong, but I am working on getting to the bottom of it.
  5. The bus stopped trying to turn over which leads me to believe something went wrong with the battery, but I'm sure theres more issues.
  6. The driver seat came up from the floor (it might have had something to do with my rage fest once the bus came to a halt).
So yeah, that's where we're at right now, so if you have any insights, I'd love to hear them. I'll post any updates as I investigate, but we'll just have to figure it out as we go along.

turglar 04-07-2018 01:30 PM

Hey, your bus looks fantastic, but I'm not sure how similar we are since there's no photos of your exterior?

turglar 04-07-2018 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turglar (Post 262847)
Okay guys...

So in transit from Springfield, MO to St. Louis, MO, we encountered a few problems that I'm gonna list:
  1. While driving, we hit a blizzard and we realized that our right windshield wiper was not working (bad news in a blizzard haha).
  2. Heater isn't working (again, bad news in a blizzard haha).
  3. In addition to not working, we also have to replace the windshield wipers entirely.
  4. While driving, we had a strange backfire which basically killed the electrical systems on the bus. I'm not exactly sure what went wrong, but I am working on getting to the bottom of it.
  5. The bus stopped trying to turn over which leads me to believe something went wrong with the battery, but I'm sure theres more issues.
  6. The driver seat came up from the floor (it might have had something to do with my rage fest once the bus came to a halt).
So yeah, that's where we're at right now, so if you have any insights, I'd love to hear them. I'll post any updates as I investigate, but we'll just have to figure it out as we go along.

Okay, so I took the battery to AutoZone and upon testing, they realized it had zero power... Like absolutely no polarization. Not exactly sure what that means as far as how it happened, but I went to WalMart and they swapped me out a new battery and sure enough, fired right up and we're good to go. Any ideas as to what might have happened to the old battery? Definitely don't want a repeat situation at all.

Twigg 04-07-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turglar (Post 262871)
Okay, so I took the battery to AutoZone and upon testing, they realized it had zero power... Like absolutely no polarization. Not exactly sure what that means as far as how it happened, but I went to WalMart and they swapped me out a new battery and sure enough, fired right up and we're good to go. Any ideas as to what might have happened to the old battery? Definitely don't want a repeat situation at all.

It was old. It died. It happens.

Glad you are back on the road, and if I were you I'd install two of those batteries.

turglar 04-11-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigg (Post 262874)
It was old. It died. It happens.

Glad you are back on the road, and if I were you I'd install two of those batteries.

I mean, the battery was actually brand new. Luckily, since it was so brand new, it was still under warranty.

By installing two, did you mean that I should buy a second battery and then daisy chain the two together?

Twigg 04-11-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turglar (Post 263417)
I mean, the battery was actually brand new. Luckily, since it was so brand new, it was still under warranty.

By installing two, did you mean that I should buy a second battery and then daisy chain the two together?

Most buses have two batteries. Some have three.

They are linked in parallel to retain the voltage but double the CCA.