School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   International | Navistar Drivetrain (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/)
-   -   1999 Bluebird Bus International T 444 E (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/1999-bluebird-bus-international-t-444-e-21617.html)

wlrogers 03-14-2018 12:15 AM

1999 Bluebird Bus International T 444 E
 
Dead Accelerator Petal
Ran fine last time it was driven. now it starts but does not have any petal just idles well.
Would it have anything to do with oil ??
Someone told me the injector pump relied on oil quality.
Dont really know where to start on this ,
Thank you william

Jdawgsfanasty 03-15-2018 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wlrogers (Post 259101)
Dead Accelerator Petal
Ran fine last time it was driven. now it starts but does not have any petal just idles well.
Would it have anything to do with oil ??
Someone told me the injector pump relied on oil quality.
Dont really know where to start on this ,
Thank you william

Throttle linkage? See if can rev it at the engine...sounds like a broken cable

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

PNW_Steve 03-15-2018 04:18 PM

I am not sure about 1999 but I know that later T444e's had an electronic throttle. I have seen the throttle pedal fail causing the symptoms you described. When it happened it threw a SES light and code.

Is your service engine soon light on?

Jdawgsfanasty 03-15-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW_Steve (Post 259384)
I am not sure about 1999 but I know that later T444e's had an electronic throttle. I have seen the throttle pedal fail causing the symptoms you described. When it happened it threw a SES light and code.

Is your service engine soon light on?

So you're sending a signal to a computer when you work the accelerator? So, like a rheostat?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Johnny Mullet 03-15-2018 08:58 PM

Sounds like the electronic throttle pedal failed.

Tango 03-15-2018 08:59 PM

I HATE fly-by-wire!

cadillackid 03-15-2018 09:13 PM

is this a rear engine bus by chance? if so make sure the "rear throttle" switch (if one exists) isnt turned on... if it is then the throttle pedal is disabled... the switch would be in the engine compartmnent of a rear engine bus..

id the throttle poedal has failed most likely youll see a WARN ENGINE light on your dash lit..

-Christopher

Jdawgsfanasty 03-15-2018 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Johnny Mullet (Post 259415)
Sounds like the electronic throttle pedal failed.

I guess so...could you run a computer diagnosis then?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

Johnny Mullet 03-16-2018 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jdawgsfanasty (Post 259424)
I guess so...could you run a computer diagnosis then?

Sent from my VS500PP using Tapatalk

A proper scan tool would show a code and/or show you the PID data to see if the pedal has a signal from 0-100%

joeblack5 03-16-2018 07:23 AM

Why do you not think it is a door switch or something like that. Our bus will start and idle but the throttle does nothing if not all the criteria are met. Not so likely that the the throttle pot died unless you have rodents.

Good luck,
Later J

PNW_Steve 03-16-2018 08:56 AM

I have seen throttle pedal assembly failure. When I saw it, it did throw a code.

dan-fox 03-16-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 259416)
I HATE fly-by-wire!

I know what you mean. I have a similar queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach about fly-by-40-feet-of-pneumatic-tubing.

Twigg 03-16-2018 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan-fox (Post 259483)
I know what you mean. I have a similar queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach about fly-by-40-feet-of-pneumatic-tubing.

Mine works well.

The only issue I have had is that if the aux. air-tank is completely empty when you start the engine, you have no throttle until it builds a little pressure.

It's not really been a problem.

2martins 03-16-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twigg (Post 259486)
Mine works well.

The only issue I have had is that if the aux. air-tank is completely empty when you start the engine, you have no throttle until it builds a little pressure.

It's not really been a problem.

When I was attempting to get my bus in my driveway (took four tries) I had to pause twice to let my air pressure build back up because I had been braking so much while maneuvering. I didn't have any issues braking as advised (get to speed, brake to 5-10 below, stop braking til at speed again) down a several mile stretch of mountain getting the bus home (I also downshifted though). Could this indicate an issue with my compressor? Or do I just need to learn how to park? Was I braking too hard? The air brakes pass the pre trip inspection protocol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

PNW_Steve 03-16-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dan-fox (Post 259483)
I know what you mean. I have a similar queasy feeling in the pit of my stomach about fly-by-40-feet-of-pneumatic-tubing.

On my last bus (rear engine) I convertred from mechanical throttle to air throttle. I loved it.

That's one of the reasons why we build skoolies. So we can choose what suits us personally. Not have to live with what someone else thinks we need.

Twigg 03-16-2018 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2martins (Post 259496)
When I was attempting to get my bus in my driveway (took four tries) I had to pause twice to let my air pressure build back up because I had been braking so much while maneuvering. I didn't have any issues braking as advised (get to speed, brake to 5-10 below, stop braking til at speed again) down a several mile stretch of mountain getting the bus home (I also downshifted though). Could this indicate an issue with my compressor? Or do I just need to learn how to park? Was I braking too hard? The air brakes pass the pre trip inspection protocol.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

They are probably fine. It's not how hard you press the pedal that matters, but the number of times in succession that you press it.

In tight manoeuvering, I can see the air getting low, at least until you get used to it.

If the pressure is building to around 120 psi, and holding there over several minutes, then brakes are probably fine.

Mine stays aired-up for weeks, and I don't think that's unusual.

cadillackid 03-17-2018 08:19 AM

its easy when m,aneuvering to press the pedal harder than you need to. which uses more air.. I find im barely touching my pedal when im maneuvering my bus around and my air stays above 100.. if I press down hard each time I go from to R to D ot such. then I use much more air.. my system has the 3-in-1 tank which is Low storage capacity.. busses with 3 separate tanks tend to have more reserve air from what ive seen.

definitely repeated pedal presses deplete air quickly as noted.. plus at idle the compressor is spinning slower and doesnt pump as fast.
-Christopher


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:07 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.