School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   New person alert :) (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/new-person-alert-22821.html)

HappyCamper 06-05-2018 12:51 AM

New person alert :)

1 Attachment(s)
Hi. I bought myself a birthday / mother's day present: A 1997 Ford e350 shuttle bus with 67,000 miles on it. It was used as a prison shuttle bus but soon it will represent freedom! Some of the repairs are beyond my pay grade (like replacing the floor) but once I get it back I plan to construct a loft bed, as well as collapsible bathroom walls. I plan to take short trips with my son around the California coast so I am not installing solar panels or holding tanks at this time, but as I inch closer to retirement, I can think about adapting it for longer trips. I really appreciate the posts of knowledgeable folks on this site, so please provide feedback. I posted an album of photos (called the Start of a Beautiful Friendship) which I will update.

bansil 06-05-2018 05:37 AM

Welcome :welcome:

I hope you enjoy the site, and moar pictures we like pictures :biggrin:

EastCoastCB 06-05-2018 05:38 AM

Have fun!!!

Johnny Mullet 06-05-2018 06:04 AM

Thanks for the introduction. Welcome aboard!

Yukon Cornelius 06-06-2018 09:59 AM

Welcome,

be interested to see the interior for sure, simple is never a bad way to start especially for trial purposes

HappyCamper 06-15-2018 11:39 PM

Progress photos

2 Attachment(s)
So as it turned out, about half of the wood floor was rotted out, so it was replaced and the seats placed into a dinette configuration. This weekend I am installing simple sheet vinyl flooring and constructing walls for the bathroom. Will post more photos once that stage is complete.

One issue is that the noise level when I go over a bump or pothole. I'm concerned I will have hearing loss, it is that loud. I see people recommend insulation to deaden the noise, but it almost sounds like the weight of the chassis is hitting the frame on every bump. Any suggestions on how to help with that?

Thanks in advance to the experts willing to give advice.

proconsul100 06-15-2018 11:49 PM

Welcome

Welcome to the site:)

cycle61 06-16-2018 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HappyCamper (Post 275602)
One issue is that the noise level when I go over a bump or pothole. I'm concerned I will have hearing loss, it is that loud. I see people recommend insulation to deaden the noise, but it almost sounds like the weight of the chassis is hitting the frame on every bump. Any suggestions on how to help with that?

Are you able at all to identify where the sound is coming from? The E350's were notorious for wearing out front end suspension components, and can produce some alarming clunking sounds as you describe. Have you, or can you, have anybody take a look at the front steering and suspension and see if that might be some of the cause of your issue? It might be hard to notice if you aren't otherwise used to driving a bus or big van, but you may be able to feel some looseness in the steering wheel as you go over bumps as well.

HappyCamper 06-16-2018 01:45 AM

Thanks for the advice. I have taken it to two mechanics for general inspections and they have not mentioned it but I dont think they road tested it on the highway. I will definitely have the suspension looked at. I note that the noise is two fold indicating that it occurs loudest when each set of wheels hits the pothole.