School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   which motor/transmission combo would you pick? (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/which-motor-transmission-combo-would-you-pick-25524.html)

Sleddgracer 01-17-2019 06:45 PM

which motor/transmission combo would you pick?
 
which motor/transmission combo would you prefer?

Bus #02-01 2001 FREIGHTLINER FS65 72 PASSENGER S/A BUS C/W: Cummins ISB 5.9 litre, diesel, 205 hp, A/T, spring susp, A/C, 10000 lb frts, 19000 lb rears, 276 in. WB Hours/Mileage: 367,112 km, 10613 hours

Bus #02-04 1998 INTERNATIONAL 3800 72 PASSENGER S/A BUS C/W: Cummins T444E 7.3 litre, diesel, 190 hp, A/T, spring susp, A/C, rear view camera, 276 in. WB, fire suppression Hours/Mileage: 198,799 km, 10836 hours

Bus #02-06 2001 INTERNATIONAL 3800 72 PASSENGER S/A BUS C/W: DT466E 7.6 litre, diesel, 195 hp, Spicer 7 spd, spring susp, A/C, rear view camera, 10000 lb frt, 19000 lb rears, 276 in. WB, fire suppression Hours/Mileage: 231,269 km, 7922 hours

EastCoastCB 01-17-2019 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleddgracer (Post 305793)
which motor/transmission combo would you prefer?

Bus #02-01 2001 FREIGHTLINER FS65 72 PASSENGER S/A BUS C/W: Cummins ISB 5.9 litre, diesel, 205 hp, A/T, spring susp, A/C, 10000 lb frts, 19000 lb rears, 276 in. WB Hours/Mileage: 367,112 km, 10613 hours

Bus #02-04 1998 INTERNATIONAL 3800 72 PASSENGER S/A BUS C/W: Cummins T444E 7.3 litre, diesel, 190 hp, A/T, spring susp, A/C, rear view camera, 276 in. WB, fire suppression Hours/Mileage: 198,799 km, 10836 hours

Bus #02-06 2001 INTERNATIONAL 3800 72 PASSENGER S/A BUS C/W: DT466E 7.6 litre, diesel, 195 hp, Spicer 7 spd, spring susp, A/C, rear view camera, 10000 lb frt, 19000 lb rears, 276 in. WB, fire suppression Hours/Mileage: 231,269 km, 7922 hours

The 2001 International ALL the way.

ermracing 01-18-2019 06:15 AM

I agree! The 2001 Freightliner would be pick #2, but the mileage is a bit on the high side. I would not consider #2.

cadillackid 01-18-2019 06:46 AM

definitely the 01 navistar.. both the FS65 and the 98 navustar have pretty high hours.. the T-444E is likely goingto need injectors soon at that number of hours.. and wont have the power you are looking for..

Booyah45828 01-18-2019 08:23 AM

3rd, followed by 1st and then 2nd

FamilyCircus 01-21-2019 02:41 PM

#3 all the way
 
I would do the DT466E and the manual transmission all the way. Wet sleeve engine and a manual transmission.

EastCoastCB 01-21-2019 03:09 PM

That one should have an OD for 7th, right?

FamilyCircus 01-21-2019 03:17 PM

I was looking at doing a cable shift FSO-8406 Fuller 6 speed, but then I thought about mom having to drive it in the hills of Colorado, yah Ill keep the Allison.

Hvbuzz 01-21-2019 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 306256)
That one should have an OD for 7th, right?

There are two spicer 7 spds. Both are syncronized. One is over drive.
Es52-7b, which I have, and an ESO66-7b. O for overdrive.

Es52 gear ratio's
1-10.09
2-5.98
3-3.72
4-2.56
5-1.81
6-1.35
7-1.00
R-8.99

ESO66
1-7.48
2-4.43
3-2.76
4-1.90
5-1.34
6-1.00
7-.74
R-6.66

I have driven many manual transmissions. It's not my favorite, but nothing wrong with it either. It does not like to be shifted in a hurry.

Hvbuzz 01-21-2019 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleddgracer (Post 305793)
which motor/transmission combo would you prefer?

Bus #02-06 2001 INTERNATIONAL 3800 72 PASSENGER S/A BUS C/W: DT466E 7.6 litre, diesel, 195 hp, Spicer 7 spd, spring susp, A/C, rear view camera, 10000 lb frt, 19000 lb rears, 276 in. WB, fire suppression Hours/Mileage: 231,269 km, 7922 hours

The last one would be my choice also. It's about the same spec as mine, except electronic. The 195 is low on hp like mine was. Which you won't be able to get easy hp gains like my mech engine. Mine was ok with the orginal 190hp and 4.44 gears and 10r tires. Once I went to 4.10 and 11r tires I needed the extra hp.

EastCoastCB 01-22-2019 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hvbuzz (Post 306332)
The last one would be my choice also. It's about the same spec as mine, except electronic. The 195 is low on hp like mine was. Which you won't be able to get easy hp gains like my mech engine. Mine was ok with the orginal 190hp and 4.44 gears and 10r tires. Once I went to 4.10 and 11r tires I needed the extra hp.

Its easy to gain HP on a DT466E. Just get to know christopher!:wink1:

cadillackid 01-22-2019 06:54 AM

to an extent. the 466E's have more hardware differences in the High HP models than the 444E does. as part of a Soup-up package, altering the computer will put more fire in the hole, just have to make sure you match it with enough air

Sleddgracer 01-22-2019 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 306357)
Its easy to gain HP on a DT466E. Just get to know christopher!:wink1:

I'll keep Christopher's name in my pocket, 'in case' - lol

cadillackid 01-22-2019 04:51 PM

we can turn em up pretty high.. but making more power cna tend to scatter more parts :)

Tango 01-22-2019 06:59 PM

On any number of diesel engines it is almost TOO easy to turn up the power. The result has been quite a few toasted trannys that were never meant to handle the HP & torque folks crank'em up to.


And then there is everything else...more speed needs more brakes...driveshafts that can't handle the RPM's go wonky...tires not rated for higher speeds can be a hazard...etc., etc., etc.

Sleddgracer 01-22-2019 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 306560)
On any number of diesel engines it is almost TOO easy to turn up the power. The result has been quite a few toasted trannys that were never meant to handle the HP & torque folks crank'em up to.


And then there is everything else...more speed needs more brakes...driveshafts that can't handle the RPM's go wonky...tires not rated for higher speeds can be a hazard...etc., etc., etc.


I'm more concerned with climbing hills than going fast

Tango 01-22-2019 07:14 PM

Oh, I do love me some more power. My little 4BT is cranked up close to 200 (from 130) as near as I can tell. Just need to not go crazy and balance the power with all the other systems.


I installed 4 wheel disk brakes...have new High V tubeless tires...a custom built driveshaft...and...a 6 speed tranny that can handle twice the power I'm throwing at it.

cadillackid 01-22-2019 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tango (Post 306566)
Oh, I do love me some more power. My little 4BT is cranked up close to 200 (from 130) as near as I can tell. Just need to not go crazy and balance the power with all the other systems.


I installed 4 wheel disk brakes...have new High V tubeless tires...a custom built driveshaft...and...a 6 speed tranny that can handle twice the power I'm throwing at it.




Ive blown up a lot of stuff over the years crankin up the power.. heck ive roasted 2 damn AT545s without ever touching the power...

alexzckary 01-23-2019 01:50 AM

Rear diff.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 305803)
The 2001 International ALL the way.

what do they have for a ratio on the rear diff. I have a 466 with the spicer and a 4.78 rear end... all the torque id ever need however if you are going to use it for highway... you will be limited to about 65 mph and that's with the engine at high revs. My spicer is the Eos 52 so no over drive, If you had the other one with the overdrive then you are golden!

EastCoastCB 01-23-2019 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexzckary (Post 306605)
what do they have for a ratio on the rear diff. I have a 466 with the spicer and a 4.78 rear end... all the torque id ever need however if you are going to use it for highway... you will be limited to about 65 mph and that's with the engine at high revs. My spicer is the Eos 52 so no over drive, If you had the other one with the overdrive then you are golden!

I'd even take a non-OD. ANY transmission is an upgrade over a 545!

Sleddgracer 01-23-2019 02:59 PM

knowing little other than what I've been able to absorb in this forum, I liked the idea of the 7 speed transmission - lots of gears to get up, and down, mountainous hills and the legs to travel at speed limit highway speeds - I've had enough experience of driving loaded tandem trucks, and dragging heavily loaded trailers around to understand how valuable gears can be going up or down - I do NOT want an automatic transmission that doesn't lock up, but I would prefer a good automatic over a manual on glare ice hills - more than a few times I've been able to lower my rig down an icy road by judiciously using reverse as a brake so I could keep control of the steering - I once had a job driving ( 1966?) a 1949 B54 Mack with a 20' flat deck carrying timbers that hung out over the back so far that I had to make the front wheels bounce ( by using the gas pedal ) to make the turn from the saw mill onto the highway when the road was icy
- at least the old Mack had a shut off for the front wheel brakes, and two transmissions that could be shifted into a double bull low gear to help on the steepest downhills


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.