School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   New Member Intros - Say Hello! (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/)
-   -   Hi Everyone, Newbie from Texas (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f6/hi-everyone-newbie-from-texas-25887.html)

JimyIron 02-16-2019 03:23 PM

Hi Everyone, Newbie from Texas

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to posting to the Skoolie forum and am looking for my first bus. I have been lurking and reading about skoolie conversions and of course watching a ton of youtube videos.

I'm looking for a mid length bus and a pusher rather than a puller... I like both types, but the flat front and motor in the back are my favorite. Looking for one that has a motor strong enough to pull my Jeep behind.

This site is amazing that so many are willing to share their knowledge and advice. Looking forward to learning more and getting to know everyone here.

JimmyIron

Sleddgracer 02-16-2019 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimyIron (Post 310706)
Hi Everyone,

I'm new to posting to the Skoolie forum and am looking for my first bus. I have been lurking and reading about skoolie conversions and of course watching a ton of youtube videos.

I'm looking for a mid length bus and a pusher rather than a puller... I like both types, but the flat front and motor in the back are my favorite. Looking for one that has a motor strong enough to pull my Jeep behind.

This site is amazing that so many are willing to share their knowledge and advice. Looking forward to learning more and getting to know everyone here.

JimmyIron

you'll find lots of advice from experts and people who have 'been there, done that before' - enjoy

PNW_Steve 02-17-2019 10:42 AM

Welcome Jimmy,

I am of the same mind. Rear engine, big engine and overdrive transmission.

I would definitely be looking for Cummins 8.3 or International DT-466/530 engines and Allison MD3060 transmission.

It took me 18 months of following the auction sites and visiting bus barns before I found one that met my spec, fit my budget and wasn't on the other side of the country.

Buses that were spec'd as "activity buses" are much more likely to have the more desirable drive train.

You also want to be cautious about rust. Repairing significant rust is something that you probably want to avoid.

Good luck with your quest.

EastCoastCB 02-17-2019 10:51 AM

Look in AZ. Some RE's with DT530's and 3060's. Ending this week IIRC.

Kinson 02-17-2019 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimyIron (Post 310706)
Hi Everyone,

JimmyIron

Pushers can be anywhere from 30ft?-40ft long. Most, if not all, are equipped with a motor that would have no trouble flat-towing your jeep. Since you say you want a "mid-size" in length, there are some Georgia buses on govdeals with not too much info. I believe they are probably around 35-37 feet. I called the contact and found out a good bit about them if you are interested.