School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Everything Else | General Skoolie Discussions (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/)
-   -   Sealing floor seat holes (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f9/sealing-floor-seat-holes-27393.html)

Kaklehr 06-06-2019 10:12 PM

Sealing floor seat holes
 
Hi,
Has anyone used 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant 5200 to fill the floor holes left from seat removal? If so, how does it hold up?

The bus stops here 06-06-2019 10:45 PM

I have not done this yet, but I was considering spray foam. Sealant might be a more durable option.

ermracing 06-07-2019 07:06 AM

We didn't have to fill the seat bolt holes, but tons of smaller holes from the seat rails. We used black windshield sealer which stays flexible when 'dry'.

geminusprime 06-07-2019 09:58 AM

Use pennies and a good adhesive. Working for me so far.

HazMatt 06-07-2019 10:37 AM

Same here. Just make a donut of caulk, JB Weld, or whatever adhesive du jour, around the bolt hole, and lightly moosh & give a little spin to the penny into it.
Wah-lah!

Sleddgracer 06-07-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 (Post 330487)
Same here. Just make a donut of caulk, JB Weld, or whatever adhesive du jour, around the bolt hole, and lightly moosh & give a little spin to the penny into it.
Wah-lah!

'MOOSH' - that's getting too technical for my tastes ;)

HazMatt 06-07-2019 11:24 AM

Apologies!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleddgracer (Post 330494)
'MOOSH' - that's getting too technical for my tastes ;)

I'll be sure to dumb it down in the future...

PNW_Steve 06-07-2019 12:36 PM

I saw someone here use an adhesive roof flashing from Home Depot. They cut small pieces and stuck them over the holes.

Sleddgracer 06-07-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PNW_Steve (Post 330518)
I saw someone here use an adhesive roof flashing from Home Depot. They cut small pieces and stuck them over the holes.

that should work well

The bus stops here 06-07-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 (Post 330487)
Same here. Just make a donut of caulk, JB Weld, or whatever adhesive du jour, around the bolt hole, and lightly moosh & give a little spin to the penny into it.
Wah-lah!

Thanks, I have always wanted to know how to spell Wah-lah!

musigenesis 06-07-2019 03:53 PM

Has anybody ever just put a rivet in the hole?

HazMatt 06-07-2019 04:27 PM

(In my best Pepe le Pew voice,)
Quote:

Originally Posted by The bus stops here (Post 330549)
Thanks, I have always wanted to know how to spell Wah-lah!

Et voila! Zer you go, mon petite cah-bazh!

o1marc 06-07-2019 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 330551)
Has anybody ever just put a rivet in the hole?

A 3/8" rivet shaft?

musigenesis 06-07-2019 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o1marc (Post 330564)
A 3/8" rivet shaft?

Well, they do exist but I thought the holes were 1/4" - nope.

o1marc 06-07-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 330575)
Well, they do exist but I thought the holes were 1/4" - nope.

Sure they exist. The bolts are 5/16" and after years of use they are slightly too big for a 5/16" rivet, meaning going up one size. Many much easier methods for filling holes. Plus a rivet that size would have to be a buck rivet or it would leak.

WARGEAR 06-07-2019 07:22 PM

I also went with the “pennies and caulk on the hole” method. Two tubes of sealant and 4 rolls of pennies is all it took.

o1marc 06-07-2019 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WARGEAR (Post 330593)
I also went with the “pennies and caulk on the hole” method. Two tubes of sealant and 4 rolls of pennies is all it took.

Was working under the bus and the flashlight kept reflecting shiny spots underneath. I realized they were the shiny pennies.:thumb:

Kaklehr 06-07-2019 08:29 PM

Great ideas, thanks all. Wah-lah & Moosh!

HazMatt 06-08-2019 06:51 AM

You betcha!
If you're looking to further enhance and improve returns, should you ever decide to sell, may I recommend using dimes instead..?

Sleddgracer 06-08-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 (Post 330647)
You betcha!
If you're looking to further enhance and improve returns, should you ever decide to sell, may I recommend using dimes instead..?



or if you really want to keep expenses down, use Canadian pennies :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.