School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Short-Bus Conversion Projects (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/)
-   -   Meet our new bus... Mr. Beefy! (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/meet-our-new-bus-mr-beefy-27421.html)

TheHubbardBus 01-02-2021 09:04 PM

@Sevier,

Clean... yeah. That took some doing. And it did NOT happen all at once. We've cleaned the interior more times than I can count, to include blowing out w/ compressed air, vacuuming, scrubbing, power washing... and I kid you not... we STILL find bits of insulation or pockets of crud just about every time we're in there. Like you said - years upon years of nastiness. It seems like every time we'd clean, a fraction of the mess would just relocate to a different spot.

Our exterior wasn't really dirt. The big pain there were all the stickers / silicone / glue.

We purchased a power washer specifically for the bus build, and it's been a Godsend. Definitely one of the most useful tools we've bought thus far.

The gap is one thing we cleaned by hand (covered w/ towels or plastic while washing). Just elbow grease. I didn't use any cleaners because I didn't want to get moisture in somewhere I couldn't easily get it out. Compressed air helped also. Make sure to wear a mask, that stray fiberglass is a nightmare. It's still not what I'd consider clean-clean, but clean enough to fill w/ insulation which is what we'll be doing.

We didn't have any glue, but if we did, I'd probably see if it came up easy w/ a wire wheel since we were using that to prep the floor anyway. On the exterior we did the solvent shuffle on the sticky stuff.



Another very useful tool that's served multiple purposes has been a heat gun. That might help w/ the glue??

musigenesis 01-03-2021 07:06 AM

I regret not giving the inside of my bus a monster power washing at any point. I was irrationally worried about causing further rust damage, which was silly given how many extra drainage holes I had in my floor at the time, and how much water was already coming into the bus on a regular basis.

TheHubbardBus 01-03-2021 10:08 AM

I wouldn't have power-washed your bus either, musigenesis! I'd be afraid it would dissolve before my eyes! :hide:


(I can say this now because of all the awesome work you've done. That's what makes it funny :biggrin:)

Sevier 01-03-2021 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 420742)
I regret not giving the inside of my bus a monster power washing at any point. I was irrationally worried about causing further rust damage, which was silly given how many extra drainage holes I had in my floor at the time, and how much water was already coming into the bus on a regular basis.

Ohh Musigenesis, we will all have our regrets/wonderings of why the f*#k we did or didnt do it one way or another! :)

Sevier 01-03-2021 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus (Post 420699)
@Sevier,

Clean... yeah. That took some doing. And it did NOT happen all at once. We've cleaned the interior more times than I can count, to include blowing out w/ compressed air, vacuuming, scrubbing, power washing... and I kid you not... we STILL find bits of insulation or pockets of crud just about every time we're in there. Like you said - years upon years of nastiness. It seems like every time we'd clean, a fraction of the mess would just relocate to a different spot.

Our exterior wasn't really dirt. The big pain there were all the stickers / silicone / glue.

We purchased a power washer specifically for the bus build, and it's been a Godsend. Definitely one of the most useful tools we've bought thus far.

The gap is one thing we cleaned by hand (covered w/ towels or plastic while washing). Just elbow grease. I didn't use any cleaners because I didn't want to get moisture in somewhere I couldn't easily get it out. Compressed air helped also. Make sure to wear a mask, that stray fiberglass is a nightmare. It's still not what I'd consider clean-clean, but clean enough to fill w/ insulation which is what we'll be doing.

We didn't have any glue, but if we did, I'd probably see if it came up easy w/ a wire wheel since we were using that to prep the floor anyway. On the exterior we did the solvent shuffle on the sticky stuff.



Another very useful tool that's served multiple purposes has been a heat gun. That might help w/ the glue??


SO helpful, thankyou!!! I feel encouraged, knowing there isnt something wrong with us, or with our bus, it just takes time and multiple cleanings.

We hit the glue covered floor with a power washer (brilliant piece of equipment!), 6 hours, one inch strip after one inch strip, slow and steady. The depth of the glue was significantly reduced, but will still have to sand or wire wheel. They all just seem to smear the glue around, so it will be multiple phases, including the use of more yicky solvents.

The front of the bus is the nastiest bit, but successfully got the entire heater out and all those metal covers over gaps and transmission hole. We just scrubbed and wiped by hand for hours. And those gaps, we'll take a wet/dry vac to them, and, like you, our hands. There are actually slits at the bottom of a number of them, so some water drains, but do not want to leave sitting water, thats for sure.

Before we begin build out, when I think I cant get it any cleaner, we'll also set off some chlorine dioxide bombs.

And yes! We've been wearing full face respirators for 12 straight days - mold and toxic chemicals and who knows what living microbial critters in all that crud - no way!

peakbus 01-03-2021 11:48 PM

Nice work! Have you tried the clear LED lights at night yet? I have been considering the same thing for use in the rear for more backup lighting. Wondered how much light they cast from up there or if LED pods would be better.

TheHubbardBus 01-04-2021 10:02 AM

@peakbus, thanks so much. Please check PMs.

EastCoastCB 01-04-2021 10:22 AM

Bout to start thinking about getting the glue up from our floor.
harsh chemicals sound like the way to go.

TheHubbardBus 01-04-2021 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 420917)
Bout to start thinking about getting the glue up from our floor.
harsh chemicals sound like the way to go.


So your floor is the same as Sevier's? Just rubber on steel?

IDIaddict 05-14-2021 07:19 PM

What a cliffhanger! I am waiting for the fun interior stuff now!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.