School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   Are the round front-view mirrors necessary? (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/are-the-round-front-view-mirrors-necessary-28005.html)

musigenesis 07-25-2019 10:40 AM

Are the round front-view mirrors necessary?
 
These round front-view mirrors: https://www.opposingviews.com/.image...omo-image.webp

... on my bus are leaking pretty badly where they're mounted to the hood (one of my headlights is full of water from this). I was getting ready to try waterproofing the mountings but I was wondering if I could just remove these mirrors entirely. Are they just for checking to make sure you're not about to run over any kids? Or do they have some other viable purpose when driving?

ermracing 07-25-2019 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 340176)
These round front-view mirrors: https://www.opposingviews.com/.image...omo-image.webp

... on my bus are leaking pretty badly where they're mounted to the hood (one of my headlights is full of water from this). I was getting ready to try waterproofing the mountings but I was wondering if I could just remove these mirrors entirely. Are they just for checking to make sure you're not about to run over any kids? Or do they have some other viable purpose when driving?

They are called cross-over mirrors and aren't required, but can useful if you end up doing lots of city driving, or even tight corners in camp grounds. You can see where your front bumper is when parking, etc. We left ours on. You can get replacement ones if needed.

Sleddgracer 07-25-2019 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 340176)
These round front-view mirrors: https://www.opposingviews.com/.image...omo-image.webp

... on my bus are leaking pretty badly where they're mounted to the hood (one of my headlights is full of water from this). I was getting ready to try waterproofing the mountings but I was wondering if I could just remove these mirrors entirely. Are they just for checking to make sure you're not about to run over any kids? Or do they have some other viable purpose when driving?

among other things,you'll be glad of them and their expanded view when you are backing up

Danjo 07-25-2019 11:10 AM

I figured that they’re on there so you can see if there’s a kid in front of the bus. I pulled mine. Admittedly they do add a lot of visibility.

musigenesis 07-25-2019 11:12 AM

Hmm, I guess I should try actually looking at them when I'm driving to see if they're useful. So far I've just been looking at the main side mirrors and at the lower side mirrors to check my position relative to my lane.

I'm planning on a 360 camera system eventually - maybe that would supersede the need for these mirrors?

o1marc 07-25-2019 11:39 AM

I like the fact that I can see all my front lights working in those mirrors.:thumb:

HazMatt 07-25-2019 11:42 AM

I'm keeping mine, in spite of all that increased wind resistance... [emoji849]
They are handy to have in keeping track of things, tho maybe more important when you have 30' or more bus to keep track of.
I haven't used them as often as the wing mirrors, but, as earlier mentioned, dang useful in some circumstances.
I am gonna to get cams, too. However the perq to mirrors is that you're already looking up and out, and not taking your eyes off the road to check your (dash mounted) monitor...

PNW_Steve 07-25-2019 03:25 PM

When I bought my Bluebird I fully intended to remove them.

But, after driving in town and parking in unfamiliar cities I find that I really like having them.

They are butt ugly though.....

HazMatt 07-25-2019 03:27 PM

They must be mounted too far back.
You aren't supposed to see your own reflection... 🤥

Native 07-26-2019 02:19 AM

I like 'em, especially pulling out of the driveway. We have several cars parked on the street and it is nice to be able to see the front bumper AND the cars as well. I also use them to check my position within the lane from time to time, especially in construction zones.


I have to cover them while parked in the driveway. A cardinal thought the image in the mirror was another cardinal and was attacking the mirror quite violently.

TheHubbardBus 07-26-2019 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native (Post 340306)
I also use them to check my position within the lane from time to time, especially in construction zones.


They were a lifesaver for this reason when I picked the bus up. Instant verification at any time where you're at. Came in real handy on some of those narrow TX bridges.

musigenesis 07-26-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus (Post 340315)
They were a lifesaver for this reason when I picked the bus up. Instant verification at any time where you're at. Came in real handy on some of those narrow TX bridges.

My regular side view mirrors have this secondary mirror at the bottom that faces downward that I use to check my position relative to the lane markers (which I think is what you're talking about). I've never used the round ones for that because of the fisheye lens distortion.

CMORGANSKOOL 07-26-2019 10:42 AM

I need one of your mirrors if you delete them. Someone hit my mirror when it was at the other lot and cracked it.

musigenesis 07-26-2019 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CMORGANSKOOL (Post 340335)
I need one of your mirrors if you delete them. Someone hit my mirror when it was at the other lot and cracked it.

It's yours if I do it.

Got any emergency exit windows to trade?

TheHubbardBus 07-26-2019 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 340326)
My regular side view mirrors have this secondary mirror at the bottom that faces downward that I use to check my position relative to the lane markers (which I think is what you're talking about). I've never used the round ones for that because of the fisheye lens distortion.

Nope. I'm talking about the round ones out front, as I believe Native is as well. Granted, due to the distortion, I can't see anything in detail, but to me they worked great for quickly checking my relation to the side of the road. That I could see... not clearly... but enough. And due to their location, I could pretty much use them with my peripheral vision without ever taking my eyes off the center of the road ahead.

Native 07-27-2019 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus (Post 340437)
Nope. I'm talking about the round ones out front, as I believe Native is as well. Granted, due to the distortion, I can't see anything in detail, but to me they worked great for quickly checking my relation to the side of the road. That I could see... not clearly... but enough. And due to their location, I could pretty much use them with my peripheral vision without ever taking my eyes off the center of the road ahead.


Yes, that is what I am talking about. The other day, I forgot to remove my mirror covers and noticed it right away. I have grown accustomed to glancing at them and even do so when I forget to uncover them.




I replaced ours with new ones. I think they were just under $40.00 each.

HazMatt 07-27-2019 05:40 AM

Where'd you find 'em? New, or salvage?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Native (Post 340455)
Yes, that is what I am talking about. The other day, I forgot to remove my mirror covers and noticed it right away. I have grown accustomed to glancing at them and even do so when I forget to uncover them.




I replaced ours with new ones. I think they were just under $40.00 each.

My shotgun one has a half-dolla sized hole it got in a deadfall b4 I left NH.

musigenesis 07-27-2019 05:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HazMatt (Post 340465)
Where'd you find 'em? New, or salvage?My shotgun one has a half-dolla sized hole it got in a deadfall b4 I left NH.

CMORGANSKOOL only wants one of mine, I guess. If I decide to delete mine I'll mail you the other one. Hopefully you're not both righties.

I've been checking out skoolie pics and it looks like a lot of people do remove these, so it's maybe not fatal if I do it (especially since I haven't even looked at them myself while driving). On the other hand, I'm getting mighty sick of mixing and sanding Bondo and deleting these mirrors means more of that.

Does anybody know why these mirrors have electrical cables running to them? Is that for a heater or something?

HazMatt 07-27-2019 06:04 AM

Must be, mine ain't got any, unless they're routed up in the frame. Best guess would be defrogger.
That, or negative reinforcement for narcissists...

musigenesis 07-27-2019 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HazMatt (Post 340474)
Must be, mine ain't got any, unless they're routed up in the frame. Best guess would be defrogger.
That, or negative reinforcement for narcissists...

I keep being surprised by things my bus has that other people don't have (like the Sea II airfoil and mirror defoggers) and then I remember that other people don't buy buses from NY.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:03 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.