School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   International | Navistar Drivetrain (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/)
-   -   T444E No 'Wait to start' light impossible to start engine :( (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f37/t444e-no-wait-to-start-light-impossible-to-start-engine-29888.html)

JaFuzz 01-04-2020 01:30 PM

T444E No 'Wait to start' light impossible to start engine :(

Hi Guys!
I was searching for a simmilar problem, but dosn't find any at this forum. After 3 weeks not starting my 2002 3800 T444E Blue Bird, we wanted to prepare everything to move our BlueBird Home from South Portugal to Spain. I tried to turn Her on, but first thing, which I recognized, was that there is no 'Wait to start" Yellow light after turning the key... Injectors made clicking sound, but, when i wanted to start nothing happened. Only relay clicking sound. :( I checked the Voltage of batteries and it was a little to low. I charged batteies, tryied again and it dosnt help. No Yellow 'Wait' light, only relay clicking sound :( (yes, I checked automatic transmission is in Neutral)
When im turning the starter key, lights are turning off... checked battery cables, everything looks ok... maybe starter finished its life? But why 'Wait' light is not flashing? Could You help me?

o1marc 01-04-2020 01:50 PM

It is normal in most vehicles to cut power from everything not needed when engaging the starter so all the amperage goes to the starter, lights come back on when key is released.

Johnny Mullet 01-04-2020 06:35 PM

Sounds like one or more of the batteries are bad. A bad battery ccan still read 12 or more volts on the surface.

cadillackid 01-04-2020 06:42 PM

dead battery or blown ECM fuse..

no WAIT light and no test of the WARN light means the computer never booted up...

-Christopher

JaFuzz 01-05-2020 12:32 AM

Batteries are holding 13V

JaFuzz 01-05-2020 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 366688)
dead battery or blown ECM fuse..

no WAIT light and no test of the WARN light means the computer never booted up...

-Christopher

Ok, I will check it. But, as You wrote, if computer doesn’t bot, is it normal that I can hear injections clicking?

Truthseeker4449 01-05-2020 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaFuzz (Post 366782)
Ok, I will check it. But, as You wrote, if computer doesn稚 bot, is it normal that I can hear injections clicking?

I've never heard injectors click with key on on a 7.3l/T444E. Or any engine really for that matter. Are you sure it is coming from the engine and not from something else, like the ABS modulators or an electrical box?

cadillackid 01-05-2020 07:11 AM

on my 444E hydraulicbrake bus when I go key-on.. I hear the glowplug relay kick on, the brake motor of course runs, the ABS controller clicks all channels, the allison TCM seems to click some solenoids in the transmission.. sounds like there is a little click or 2 up near the glowplug relay.. im guessing it cycles the IPR solenoid.. then all the clicking is done after a couple seconds.. there is the buzz ofthe brake motor and after as minute or so the glowplug relay clicks off..

when my computer is in a no-boot scenerio (if I pull one or both ECM fuses).. then I dont get the glowplug relay or extra click near the heads, but I get the rest..

-Christopher

JaFuzz 01-05-2020 10:38 AM

Ok, I値l check again tomorrow. Thanks for Your answers. Where to find those ECM fuses?

Mountain Gnome 01-05-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaFuzz (Post 366808)
Ok, I値l check again tomorrow. Thanks for Your answers. Where to find those ECM fuses?

Check out this thread:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/fu...elp-29780.html

read till the end.

JaFuzz 01-06-2020 03:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome (Post 366826)
Check out this thread:

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f49/fu...elp-29780.html

read till the end.

Thanks, I値l check this hidden fuse box today.

JaFuzz 01-06-2020 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 366794)

(...) when my computer is in a no-boot scenerio (if I pull one or both ECM fuses).. then I dont get the glowplug relay or extra click near the heads, but I get the rest..

-Christopher

Where are You finding those ECM fuses?

JaFuzz 01-06-2020 08:13 AM

I知 not able to find this aluminum fuse box. Maybe someone before me changed something :/
I checked starter, relays, fuses and now I知 sure, that my computer is not boring at all. This clicking sound was connected to ABS.

cadillackid 01-06-2020 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaFuzz (Post 367062)
Where are You finding those ECM fuses?

my bus is a conventional.. and on the dash behind a black panel is a fuse box.. it has one marked ECM BAT and one marked DIAG, those are the fuses for the computer..

JaFuzz 01-06-2020 09:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 367075)
my bus is a conventional.. and on the dash behind a black panel is a fuse box.. it has one marked ECM BAT and one marked DIAG, those are the fuses for the computer..

Mine is also conventional, but I don稚 have ECM BAT, only DIAG. Checked, all of them are ok.

cadillackid 01-06-2020 09:23 AM

Engine - apparently they changed the name..

next on the list would be the relay bank on the firewall under the hood .. there is a power relay and a Starter-enable relay.. (I dont have my books in front of me to see which is which)... the power relay must enable for ther computer to come to life..

its **POSSIBLE** someone wired a bus interlock - say a Vandal-lock on your back door or side door.. to this relay.. so if your back door was locked it would disable the engine of the bus... or the relay could be shot..

JaFuzz 01-06-2020 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cadillackid (Post 367087)
Engine - apparently they changed the name..

next on the list would be the relay bank on the firewall under the hood .. there is a power relay and a Starter-enable relay.. (I dont have my books in front of me to see which is which)... the power relay must enable for ther computer to come to life..

its **POSSIBLE** someone wired a bus interlock - say a Vandal-lock on your back door or side door.. to this relay.. so if your back door was locked it would disable the engine of the bus... or the relay could be shot..

I've checked those Relays today, two of them are 'clicking' afther turning starter key, one is dead .... tomorow I'll check them with Multimeter... thx

Mountain Gnome 01-06-2020 06:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JaFuzz (Post 367074)
I知 not able to find this aluminum fuse box. Maybe someone before me changed something :/
I checked starter, relays, fuses and now I知 sure, that my computer is not boring at all. This clicking sound was connected to ABS.

Sorry if I confused you with the link. I knew we had different bus chassis, and I should have said so. I just meant to show you some things to look for and how you might find them, and point to further links where you might find diagrams.
Good luck!

JaFuzz 01-07-2020 03:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome (Post 367198)
Sorry if I confused you with the link. I knew we had different bus chassis, and I should have said so. I just meant to show you some things to look for and how you might find them, and point to further links where you might find diagrams.
Good luck!

In my case, every trace and idea is important. Mechanics here don't want to work with this engines because they don't know them. So your help is very important for me.

I’m still thinking is it a possibility to give voltage to ECM straight from batteries. Now I need to move bus 500km to next place, where we plan to stay next 2 years. So it’s important to me to start him.

cadillackid 01-07-2020 06:58 AM

on the fireweall, 2 of those relays are for the computer and one is for the transmission (if i remember right).. just because they click doesnt mean they make contact..

does your dashboard go through its self check? (the needles go up then back down?)