School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Short-Bus Conversion Projects (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/)
-   -   BLUTO build update (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f27/bluto-build-update-30509.html)

Phatman 03-03-2020 11:32 PM

BLUTO build update

7 Attachment(s)
I have been lazy the last year and a half. I never make New Years resolutions, but this year I did. I promised myself to be through by the end of May. Iím on it everyday since January 1 at least 4 hours a day. Hereís hoping

Native 03-04-2020 01:30 AM

Your interior looks much like a maker-space office! Looking good, even in a rough state.

musigenesis 03-04-2020 05:29 AM

I promised myself I'd be done in May, too. Last May.

Phatman 03-04-2020 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Native (Post 375437)
Your interior looks much like a maker-space office! Looking good, even in a rough state.

Thanks Native. Yeah all the cabinets come out this week to be painted. Once they go back in, I can install the ceiling and flooring. With all the color, it definitely won’t look like an office. It will look more like a Gypsy wagon.

Phatman 03-04-2020 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 375449)
I promised myself I'd be done in May, too. Last May.

Hahahahaha. I totally understand that one. Being retired, I just dint have any excuses.

banman 03-04-2020 09:54 AM

I like it!

What thickness is the insulation you're using? I like that it conforms to the roof lines so nicely.

Also like the steel-pipe elbows to hold up the light-bar. Are they strong enough to double as grab-handles? And the "floor flange" plates used to install them -- did you find a place to get a good bulk price on 'em?

Phatman 03-04-2020 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banman (Post 375488)
I like it!

What thickness is the insulation you're using? I like that it conforms to the roof lines so nicely.

Also like the steel-pipe elbows to hold up the light-bar. Are they strong enough to double as grab-handles? And the "floor flange" plates used to install them -- did you find a place to get a good bulk price on 'em?

Yeah Banman. The insulation on the ceiling is 3/4” white styrofoam. It is 3 layers thick. 2 1/4”. I used 3M 90 spay contact to hold it in place between my wooden ribs that I made. The 1/2” flanges are from Amazon. Package of ten for $19. They are for decoration only. The pipe nipples are abs plastic for sprinkler system. I wasn’t going to pay $7 to $8 for quality flanges for what I was using them for.

banman 03-05-2020 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phatman (Post 375499)
Yeah Banman. The insulation on the ceiling is 3/4Ē white styrofoam. It is 3 layers thick. 2 1/4Ē. I used 3M 90 spay contact to hold it in place between my wooden ribs that I made. The 1/2Ē flanges are from Amazon. Package of ten for $19. They are for decoration only. The pipe nipples are abs plastic for sprinkler system. I wasnít going to pay $7 to $8 for quality flanges for what I was using them for.

Thanks for that.

I (guess) like the hack on the iron-pipe -- soon as I saw it I thought "wait, that's like $200 to $300 in hardware..."

Maybe I can find a used source of pipe fittings near Columbus...

Phatman 03-05-2020 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by banman (Post 375671)
Thanks for that.

I (guess) like the hack on the iron-pipe -- soon as I saw it I thought "wait, that's like $200 to $300 in hardware..."

Maybe I can find a used source of pipe fittings near Columbus...

Check at an electrical supply house. 3/4” flanges are probably more available. If size is not a problem, you can use 3/4” to 1/2” RE bushings.

“THE POLICE AND THE TAX MAN MISS ME, I’M MOBILE”

TheArgobus 03-10-2020 11:50 AM

Your tight wiring has made me realize I've been too lazy and sloppy with mine, and I ought to know better.

Phatman 03-10-2020 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheArgobus (Post 376184)
Your tight wiring has made me realize I've been too lazy and sloppy with mine, and I ought to know better.

Thanks. So I take it you are an electrician? It’s all about having to troubleshoot it later. Every time I get arrogant and fat headed that I didn’t make any mistake, is when it bites me on the ASS !!

Phatman 03-31-2020 06:58 PM

Bluto build color

3 Attachment(s)
Just a short update. All the cabinets were removed and are painted.(except the doors). Got the bathroom cabinets back in. Itís definitely colorful.

musigenesis 03-31-2020 07:07 PM

Looks great! Much admiration for schlepping your cabinets outside for painting - there's no way I would have the heart for doing that once I'd put them in place.

Phatman 03-31-2020 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 378863)
Looks great! Much admiration for schlepping your cabinets outside for painting - there's no way I would have the heart for doing that once I'd put them in place.

Thank you sir. It’s definitely a pain removing them and reinstalling them. This is the third time and final time of them being out. I had to remove them to spray paint everything. Including inside walls.

TheArgobus 04-01-2020 11:08 AM

Did you build those cabinets yourself? They look great, and I love the funky color palette. I just got to that stage of my build, and I have never built a drawer or anything like that, and my first one came out quite ugly. And hardly even functional. I'm learning so many new skills during this build.

Phatman 04-01-2020 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheArgobus (Post 378907)
Did you build those cabinets yourself? They look great, and I love the funky color palette. I just got to that stage of my build, and I have never built a drawer or anything like that, and my first one came out quite ugly. And hardly even functional. I'm learning so many new skills during this build.

Yes I did. My dad was a master cabinet builder, so I grew up learning how to build them. The color scheme is my wife’s. Our home is a ranch style home with lots of wood work, so we decided that the bus would have lots of color and no stained or natural wood. I call it Gypsy.

Phatman 04-09-2020 07:52 PM

BLUTO update

6 Attachment(s)
I donít remember who threw the advice out there last week on welding and keeping it all square and flat, but they were right on. Got my frame for my rooftop a/c in an existing emergency hatch all framed up and unit mounted and running. Perfect timing. It hit 90 today. Got all my cabinets back in and all fastened down, ( for the last time). Time to start on the ceiling. The doors on the cabinets will be after that.

ol trunt 04-09-2020 08:16 PM

Very nice! Who's playing what on the screen? Jack:popcorn:

musigenesis 04-09-2020 08:16 PM

Looking good, man, but that roof sure isn't. :biggrin: And I thought my roof was dirty.

Phatman 04-09-2020 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol trunt (Post 380202)
Very nice! Who's playing what on the screen? Jack:popcorn:

Hahahahaha Jack. I was wondering who would ask that. It was he Eagles farewell tour in Australia.