School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   Henry's Tropicool, and how I learned to dislike it... (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/henrys-tropicool-and-how-i-learned-to-dislike-it-30629.html)

musigenesis 07-15-2020 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitskyWitbulls (Post 396540)
Literally meets your requirement for comparison, dismissed as placebo effect. That's enough internet for me tonight.

Well, those were my requirements, EastCoastCB said placebo effect. TBF I might also have said something like that eventually, but I think it's reasonable to want a more controlled testing process than "I did this and it felt cooler", especially when thermometers are easy to come by. Perhaps this is an unfair representation of what Dr. McBusFace actually did, so I'll check out the video if I can find it.

Mountain Gnome 07-15-2020 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol trunt (Post 396510)
Just as an aside, smooth, shiny white surfaces reflect better than rough, dull white surfaces.
Jack:popcorn:

Which is why I painted my roof with gloss white enamel paint. It was supposed to be clear and warm. Clouds moved in immediately, and due settled. Then it froze. For all 4 coats. So now I have a rough dull white roof.


I added "Insuladd" ("makes paint insulate") to the first 2 coats, as recommended by ... oh shoot, there goes the brain again...I can never remember names, but the amazing old "hippie" gent from TX with the amazing bus he was building from scratch who unfortunately moved on to the next dimension.


Anyway, the stuff says it was invented by NASA and is little ceramic balls. It left the paint like sandpaper, so it took another two coats to get it smooth. But then it froze again anyway.

Native 07-16-2020 03:01 AM

You are thinking of Tango!

Native 07-16-2020 03:09 AM

Oh, here is a link to the pseudo-science that a member, Jatzy, performed on various products.

leadsled01 07-16-2020 06:58 AM

Last weekend I coated 3 coats of hernrys tropicool 100 % silicone on my enclosed trailer and we are in a heat wave all week. Very noticeable cooler inside trailer every time I open the door compared to week before when temps were slightly cooler.

ol trunt 07-16-2020 11:04 AM

Yup, white will do that every time
Jack:popcorn:

jazty 07-16-2020 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ol trunt (Post 396605)
Yup, white will do that every time
Jack:popcorn:


Exactly.


Paint doesn't insulate worth anything useful. Period. It's too thin.


The colour of the paint does, however, affect how much radiant energy is absorbed or reflected.


Pure black paint absorbs 100% and reflects 0% of visible light radiation and thus gets quite hot.
Pure white paint absorbs 0% and reflects 100% of visible light radiation and thus can stay the same temperature as it's environment (not cooler).


Living in an imperfect world we don't get pure white or pure black, but something in between.

jazty 07-16-2020 12:17 PM

Texture and glossiness also plays into the heat absorption.

PitskyWitbulls 07-16-2020 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 396543)
Well, those were my requirements, EastCoastCB said placebo effect. TBF I might also have said something like that eventually, but I think it's reasonable to want a more controlled testing process than "I did this and it felt cooler", especially when thermometers are easy to come by. Perhaps this is an unfair representation of what Dr. McBusFace actually did, so I'll check out the video if I can find it.

I linked two articles that show there is a difference between just white paint and roof coatings. White paint alone will not lower roof surface temperatures by 87(F). Standard acrylic paint changes the color of your roof. Thats it.

Mountain Gnome 07-16-2020 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitskyWitbulls (Post 396621)
I linked two articles that show there is a difference between just white paint and roof coatings. White paint alone will not lower roof surface temperatures by 87(F). Standard acrylic paint changes the color of your roof. Thats it.

Wait...what did I miss....


WHAT will lower the roof surface temp by 87F? (besides a block of dry ice)



Or does 87(F) mean something else?

jazty 07-16-2020 12:52 PM

87F on it's own doesn't mean anything. The best you can theoretically ever hope to achieve with a roof coating is to get the roof down to ambient temperature.

jazty 07-16-2020 12:53 PM

If you want to get below ambient temperature you better get on the roof with a hose :)

PitskyWitbulls 07-16-2020 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome (Post 396625)
Wait...what did I miss....


WHAT will lower the roof surface temp by 87F? (besides a block of dry ice)



Or does 87(F) mean something else?

there are two articles linked in this thread. Both talk about roof coating as opposed to paint.

EastCoastCB 07-16-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PitskyWitbulls (Post 396491)
White paint alone isn't as thick and it doesn't contain any special reflective components. RV roof coats are thicker and contain reflective additives.

I understand the studies linked are on buildings not a school bus but an 87F drop is still significant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48395221
https://heatisland.lbl.gov/coolscience/cool-roofs

Neither of those address using silicone-rubberized paint on a vehicle. Neither address why the OP and many of us don't want elastomeric roof coatings on our buses. Obviously you're free to use it and free to tell others how great you think it is.

and the bbc article you linked is specifically about white paints/coatings in general.

PitskyWitbulls 07-16-2020 04:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 396644)
Neither of those address using silicone-rubberized paint on a vehicle. Neither address why the OP and many of us don't want elastomeric roof coatings on our buses. Obviously you're free to use it and free to tell others how great you think it is.

and the bbc article you linked is specifically about white paints/coatings in general.

I never said anything about it being used on buses and explicitly said they are on buildings, not bus roofs. I never said either article was about using rubberized coatings on a school bus. However a little extrapolation will get you to where I was going.

The BBC article states they used limestone in the coating to increase reflectivity and it did reduce the internal temperature. The other article where they did test the rooftop temps before and after coating with thermometers (on a steel building not a school bus) the surface temperature did drop significantly.If even a fraction of 87F translates to a bus roof, it will make a difference.

In the south where the sun is oppressive, every little bit helps. My entire bus is white. It's also insulated with a ship-lap ceiling. I've done everything I can inside to reduce the heat. Awnings are the next solution but that is a $2000+ investment.

$114 and a sweaty afternoon sounds a little better than a $2000 hit. Obviously you're free not to use it and insist to others it doesn't work but isn't that like someone without a tattoo telling you how much they hurt? :biggrin::rofl:

EastCoastCB 07-16-2020 05:06 PM

All I'm saying is if you end up hating it like the OP and others its a LOT of work to remove and paint properly.

PitskyWitbulls 07-16-2020 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EastCoastCB (Post 396654)
All I'm saying is if you end up hating it like the OP and others its a LOT of work to remove and paint properly.

I'm gonna stick with the tattoo analogy. :thumb:

EastCoastCB 07-16-2020 06:09 PM

Its not a good one at all. They do hurt. I have plenty.

BartStephens 08-18-2020 12:56 PM

I understand the studies linked are on buildings not a school bus but an 87F drop is still significant.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-48395221
https://heatisland.lbl.gov/coolscience/cool-roofs[/QUOTE]


Excellent resources. Thank you for sharing.

BartStephens 08-18-2020 01:11 PM

Wow. I am reading myself bananas on this subject. I am going to do a comparison test.

QUESTION:
Setting aside elastomeric,...just PLAIN WHITE PAINT,...do any of you have a recommendation? Brand? Type?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.