School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Conversion General Discussions (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/)
-   -   Skoolie Fair Market Value: Deal, Steal or Dud? (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f13/skoolie-fair-market-value-deal-steal-or-dud-35520.html)

Rucker 04-01-2021 04:17 PM

Skoolie Fair Market Value: Deal, Steal or Dud?
 
Maybe we can use this thread to post our particular 'deal': what we bought (and when), how much we paid, and how well it's worked out for us.

This would certainly give new members a better understanding of real-world acquisition costs, and whether it turned out a deal, a steal or a dud.

Rucker 04-01-2021 04:28 PM

Here's my steal: I bought a 1999 6-window E450 gas shuttle bus in Stockton, California with a V-10 and 127K miles on the odometer in May of 2020 for four grand flat. I looked for about four months before seriously checking buses. It was the only bus I found that met my basic requirements, and even then I lingered over the ad for a couple of weeks before calling.

The bus was on Craigslist for a month or more for 5 grand. I finally reached out to the owner and asked if they were open to $4K, and it being the dark beginning of the pandemic, I think they said 'absolutely'. I drove an hour to look at it, gave it a spin around the block, and plunked down the cash. I think it was better than a great deal, really a steal at that price, in that condition.

It has no rust, great tires, working A/C, no interior or exterior damage other than some chafing on the rear wheel flares; no mechanical issues, and passed smog with flying colors. It was an old DMV commuter shuttle driven about six thousand miles a year.

I've owned it almost a year but haven't driven it except to the park occasionally, since most of the time it's in front of the garage getting converted. You never know, it might have some terrible mechanical flaw just about to go 'ping!' but right now I'm feeling like it was a rock solid foundation for a skoolie conversion, and have been able to spend the last year working on the conversion and not a bunch of rust or structural or mechanical work.

o1marc 04-01-2021 05:14 PM

Flew to Butte Montana off a craigslist ad in 2018 for my 99 International Genesis Am Tran 37', Dt466, 3060, cruise control, etc. Paid $3500, drove it home to Ga.. No rust, but a bit on the floor as usual. I have not come across a better deal yet. :thumb:

Jolly Roger bus 223 04-01-2021 07:07 PM

my first bus back in 2012 was an 86 ford thomas with the 8.2 and 545 tranny with full records from the school district since brand new for 2000$ it is a flatland bus but served my family well for what it is.
repower coming when i finish my second bus.
it is a 04 chevy 3500 with a collins/midbus body with the chevy gas 6.0 for 3500$ already stripped and i wish they hadnt because of wiring issues later found but it ran 2 hours away on the interstate at 80 and acted like it had more.
not a big fan of the hydro boost brake system but it works.

Mountain Yawp 04-01-2021 10:14 PM

This thread is a good idea if enough people post over time.

I think my purchase price was a little high but not terrible, and was apparently fair market value since it was an auction. I bought from a school district through publicsurplus.com. Just under $6000 after all of the taxes and auction fees. Bus is a 1998 Thomas 38' RE with 8.3 and MD 3060 tranny, factory tall roof, under storage, full service records, rolls at 65 mph no problem. 207,000 miles and less than 8000 hours. Runs great and is in good mechanical order so far. Purchased Fall of 2019. I would have liked cruise control and a/c, but the rest of the bus was perfect for us.

laegion 04-02-2021 06:32 AM

On 3/22/2021 I purchased my 2000 AmTran traditional style, 38ft, Airbrakes, 65passenger, 6'5" ceiling, with dt466e and Allison MD3060 with 140k for $3700/$4200 after taxes and fees. I purchased from the RWC Group in Spokane.

So far it drove home (150 miles) just fine. It has had some sort of issue with the airbrakes charging up in a normal time. There was another identical bus for sale as well, but it was shifting hard and had more oil buildup on the transmission and engine. They both have some sort of oil pan leak. The other bus is still for sale as far as I know. both seemed to have some water leakage from either the windows or roof.

musigenesis 04-02-2021 07:08 AM

I bought my bus in January 2019 for $3600 on eBay (it could have been worse - my max bid was $6000 on it). The big selling points were the DT466e with only 30K miles on it after a rebuild, 2000-series transmission, high ceiling (6'7"), good tires, and the length I was looking for (11 windows). The big negative was "some rust", as the listing stated.

Without the rust the bus would have been a steal, especially with what people are paying for buses lately. With the rust it's a huge dud from a purely financial standpoint, but a deal in the sense of an opportunity to learn fabrication with steel and to really customize the vehicle to my needs.

djdalfaro 04-02-2021 09:33 AM

I bought my bus at auction from the Dallas area and immediately drove it home to the Houston area in July 2018 for $2600.

1994 International 3800
DT408/AT545
208k miles
Thomas short body 7 window
Lift door in the rear door side.
Negligible rust
2 AC systems

Since then I've driven it across texas loaded with household goods at a weight of 20k lbs and up a 7% grade. Only mechanical issue has been a leaking PS rack.

o1marc 04-02-2021 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mountain Yawp (Post 433226)
This thread is a good idea if enough people post over time.

I think my purchase price was a little high but not terrible, and was apparently fair market value since it was an auction. I bought from a school district through publicsurplus.com. Just under $6000 after all of the taxes and auction fees. Bus is a 1998 Thomas 38' RE with 8.3 and MD 3060 tranny, factory tall roof, under storage, full service records, rolls at 65 mph no problem. 207,000 miles and less than 8000 hours. Runs great and is in good mechanical order so far. Purchased Fall of 2019. I would have liked cruise control and a/c, but the rest of the bus was perfect for us.

That would be an average of 26mph over the life of that bus. Hours don't sound accurate.

Rivetboy 04-02-2021 10:56 AM

Craigslist Bakersfield 5K A little high for the work needed but the bus had a/c 3 doors and 28 feet. No regrets

Rucker 04-02-2021 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by musigenesis (Post 433250)
I bought my bus in January 2019 for $3600 on eBay (it could have been worse - my max bid was $6000 on it). The big selling points were the DT466e with only 30K miles on it after a rebuild, 2000-series transmission, high ceiling (6'7"), good tires, and the length I was looking for (11 windows). The big negative was "some rust", as the listing stated.

Without the rust the bus would have been a steal, especially with what people are paying for buses lately. With the rust it's a huge dud from a purely financial standpoint, but a deal in the sense of an opportunity to learn fabrication with steel and to really customize the vehicle to my needs.

You make a good point about the 'opportunity to excel in metal fabrication'. The personal satisfaction that comes from tackling and overcoming a challenge, and coming out with new skills, that is one of the big rewards of a conversion.

Mountain Yawp 04-02-2021 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by o1marc (Post 433279)
That would be an average of 26mph over the life of that bus. Hours don't sound accurate.

Accuracy is never guaranteed with something used, but the bus garage manager that sold it had little reason to fib and reported that it was a trip bus for the sports teams and music, sometimes even going from Idaho to California for band and choir tours. He said it did some duty as a route bus also.
If I really wanted to I could read through all of the service records for the last 20 years and look for discrepancies.
What is normal average hours for a bus every 100k miles?

Rucker 04-02-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djdalfaro (Post 433263)
I bought my bus at auction from the Dallas area and immediately drove it home to the Houston area in July 2018 for $2600.

1994 International 3800
DT408/AT545
208k miles
Thomas short body 7 window
Lift door in the rear door side.
Negligible rust
2 AC systems

Since then I've driven it across texas loaded with household goods at a weight of 20k lbs and up a 7% grade. Only mechanical issue has been a leaking PS rack.

That sounds like a STEAL!

Phatman 04-02-2021 09:03 PM

I purchased my second bus (Eleanor) in 2017 for $3000. The seller through in 6 new tires that were already mounted. Unfortunately the wheels lug pattern was correct but the holes were too small. Still a great deal. My wife was the one who actually had the idea of buying a bus because I like building and restoring things. I have definitely learned some new skills. So far I have done all the work myself.

WIbluebird 04-03-2021 09:43 AM

Paid $4000 in August 2019 for my 2001 Blue Bird All American RE with the 8.3 Cummins ISC (315 hp variant) and Allison MD3066R (factory 6th gear unlocked variant with integrated retarder). Has full understorage, Transair factory AC (now removed). Tires were worn pretty bad.

Dash cluster is broken but mileage estimated to be around 200,xxx. Will know more when I get a BlueFire reader. Issues on the way from Colorado to Wisconsin were mainly limited to an alignment wearing down the inner edge of the steer tire. Front brake drum sticks after a month or so of sitting. Otherwise ran flawessly.

ol trunt 04-03-2021 10:50 AM

The basic materials that became the drivable shell of my bus before conversion cost $444 per foot.
Jack:popcorn:

djdalfaro 04-04-2021 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rucker (Post 433325)
That sounds like a STEAL!

It's pretty normal for auctions especially if you check out sites other than GD and PS. Prices have gone up a bit but a 6 window P-Pumped DT466 just went on PurpleWave a couple weeks ago for $2800.

Seriousracer 04-07-2021 03:40 PM

$3000 dollars for a 6 window ce300.
With a freshly kitted dt466 full radiator and full after cooler.
Remanufactured allison 2500. Air ride rear. 25k rear brakes and 14k fronts. Good rubber
Drove it home an hour.

Rucker 04-07-2021 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seriousracer (Post 433998)
$3000 dollars for a 6 window ce300.
With a freshly kitted dt466 full radiator and full after cooler.
Remanufactured allison 2500. Air ride rear. 25k rear brakes and 14k fronts. Good rubber
Drove it home an hour.

A STEAL! When did you purchase that bus?

Seriousracer 04-07-2021 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rucker (Post 434000)
A STEAL! When did you purchase that bus?

Three years ago been using it for weekend trips last year
Some would say because of some rust it wasn’t worth it

It truely was in my book a steal. non egr engine.
Full radiator full after cooler.
Just found a dt466 truck with a 3060 for 1500
But it has been over heated.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:37 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.