School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Titles, Insurance, Registration and Money Matters (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/)
-   -   North Carolina bus to skoolie registration (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f18/north-carolina-bus-to-skoolie-registration-37398.html)

Rbru8030 09-15-2021 08:25 AM

North Carolina bus to skoolie registration

Has anyone gone through the process of getting their bus registration changed to RV in North Carolina? I'm running into different stories and procedures and no call backs from the agency/inspector. We're in Lee County. Any pointers would be appreciated!

john61ct 09-15-2021 12:58 PM

You are aware of the mail-order VT option right?

Rbru8030 09-15-2021 01:34 PM

VT Mail order reg

That's a long thread!! I was not aware of that possibility. Interesting idea that I'll look into using.

Thanks,

Rich

sfrederi09@gmail.com 09-15-2021 02:35 PM

rbru8030 have you gotten anywhere with registration? I am just starting mine and will need to re-register it. I am in NC as well. The DMV said i need a class B because of the Brakes but they don't have a test for a reg DL with a class B endorsment

john61ct 09-15-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rbru8030 (Post 452965)
That's a long thread!! I was not aware of that possibility. Interesting idea that I'll look into using.

Thanks,

Rich

Almost everything you need is in the first post, kept up to date by the OP.

Jolly Roger bus 223 09-15-2021 05:54 PM

try a different DMV office.
in NC the weight capacity decides your drivers license not brakes.
your class c license is good for 26,001 pounds regardless of what it is.
i have two buses insured and registered as bus for personal use and have never been questioned.
talking to my insurance agent if i want RV insurance on my bus i would have to give the price/amount of my converted bus to RV that i would want covered?
for me I will stay with my bus for personal use even though converted.
if your bus is over 26,0001 then yes i can see a brake endorsement.
even if not the endorsement class can be very knowledgeable if you have never dealt with air brakes.
but there are many videos on here talking you through air brake inspection and adjusting procedures.
in my dealings with NC DMV is you only need to upgrade your license
1 you are over the weight limit on your license.
2 you are using your vehicle to make money. that makes you CDL.

Seb1 09-15-2021 07:37 PM

Registered mine last year in Greensboro DMV. 27000 pounds, hydraulic brakes (I don’t think that it made any difference). Had it inspected at home by an officer who converted the title from bus to “house car” after checking some criteria’s (bed, sink, fridge, water… I don’t remember). Yes, an officer came to my house after I made a request at the DMV. Took 3 weeks and 1h notice… but excellent and very easy experience both with the officer and at the DMV.

Rbru8030 09-18-2021 01:00 PM

Bus not mine yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sfrederi09@gmail.com (Post 452970)
rbru8030 have you gotten anywhere with registration? I am just starting mine and will need to re-register it. I am in NC as well. The DMV said i need a class B because of the Brakes but they don't have a test for a reg DL with a class B endorsment

We're still waiting on a price from the county. I'm hoping to hear something soon and then get the bus and move into the registration phase. Is there a list that has the requirements for the inspection?

Rich in Sanford