School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Alternative Fuels | Electric, Propane, Wood & Biofuels (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f28/)
-   -   1992 Bluebird w/ Cummings engine runs on used tranny oil??? (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f28/1992-bluebird-w-cummings-engine-runs-on-used-tranny-oil-7567.html)

sdwarf36 05-15-2012 11:26 AM

Re: 1992 Bluebird w/ Cummings engine runs on used tranny oil

Running tranny fluid is the same as running waste motor oil (WMO)-only a bit cleaner. "Blenders" as the folks who run WMO are called, usually mix in some other things like cenate booster-diesel clean-etc. I know it can be done-cant give more details though-i'm a veggie oil guy. :)

chev49 05-15-2012 11:39 AM

a person i know from alabama bought a used 5.9 like a 1999 or so model year that the po had been running veggie oil in it... only to find out a month later that it needed an injection pump.

some people run a mix of oil and diesel also.

from other diesel bbs's i have surmised that just using diesel is probably best...

now... all the wvo people will comment.. :D

i would like to hear from people using wvo who have racked up like 500,000 mi on it..and had the same diesel truck or bus with similar mileage to compare maint costs... :D

sdwarf36 05-15-2012 07:37 PM

I've never tried to talk anyone into veggie-but have talked many out of it. :)
Go to www.greasecar.com and look up forum posts from Brian Miller. He has over 350k on 1 7.3 on wvo-over 200k on another. (Its why I picked what I drive now.) Also a genarator to power his house-and a furnace on veggie.
Making your own fuel is like building a bus-makes little sense to most others-lots of time spent learning-sometimes the hard way-lots of figuring things out yourself-lots of trips to Home Depot-and big satisfaction with the finished product. 8)

Me? Tried it as an experiment on a 92 VW Jetta-now 120k miles on it still working fine. 10k on the bus-3 years on a furnace in the garage.

chev49 05-16-2012 09:08 AM

a few people add engine or trans oil to their diesel.. it isnt reccomended for a 2 stroke detroit..

keith 05-16-2012 04:01 PM

uknow we use two run 2qts of tranny in 500 gals of diesel the winter months up north keeping it from gelling up..

sdwarf36 05-16-2012 08:54 PM

https://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/ ... 6947009143
Dunno if I would use it as the last word--but its a place to start looking around.

tomas_maly 09-16-2012 07:54 PM

A friend of mine has been trying to get used transmission fluid from transmission shops, since it's less of a commodity than restaurant grease seems to be (around here, recyclers PAY restaurants for grease, anywhere up to $0.40/gal). Even at a strictly transmission shop (where large volumes can be found), the fluid was contaminated with brake fluid, engine oil, etc and that (when heated together) causes severe performance problems, from what my friend said. He is trying to filter it using a centrifuge, but seems not so practical for a bus on-the-go.

TourTech 11-18-2012 04:04 PM

I was wondering about this myself. I would think, which means I really don'y know what I'm talking about, that tranny oil and engine oil has the raod tax included when it was originally purchased. If this is true, then it should be legit to use as a fuel would it not?

If you get dipped and you have black diesel, do you get fined the same way as if you have dyed diesel or WVO?