School Bus Conversion Resources

School Bus Conversion Resources (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/)
-   Forum Admin | Account Help | Suggestion Box (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/)
-   -   Spam, spam, spam... (https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f12/spam-spam-spam-8421.html)

Skunky Bus 05-23-2013 06:45 PM

Re: Spam, spam, spam...

Quote:

Originally Posted by lornaschinske
Maybe you need a "first post" thread (name it what ever is applicable) in which the only way to get approved to post is to post in the "first post" thread (read a sticky to know how to get approved... maybe include a "What's the secret password" type question with a single word answer like "Is water wet or dry?" or "What colour is the bus in the picture shown"). Make the post include something that a spammer won't post. Then auto delete the other "new" posters that don't post in the "first post" thread. It might bug a few newbies but it might help cut down on the spammers. Just an idea.

But quite a clever one. I think it would be easy enough for people smart enough to be allowed a driver's license but hard for spammers to circumvent.

GreyEagle 05-25-2013 07:55 PM

Steve.............. This needs to be addressed......
Main

LATEST 5 POSTS AWAITING APPROVAL
In total there are 12980 posts waiting for approval.

Thanks
GE

lornaschinske 05-26-2013 09:34 AM

It looks like either Steve can't or won't spare the time to deal with this. I think you guys need to take matters in your own hands.

Use my idea of a first post and batch delete everyone else as of now (including your backlog). Anyone who is perusing this forum has had to of seen the almost daily SPAM, SPAM, SPAM posts. They should understand.

Skunky Bus 05-26-2013 03:13 PM

Quote:

It looks like either Steve can't or won't spare the time to deal with this. I think you guys need to take matters in your own hands.

Use my idea of a first post and batch delete everyone else as of now (including your backlog). Anyone who is perusing this forum has had to of seen the almost daily SPAM, SPAM, SPAM posts. They should understand.

One look at the spam and newbies should figure out why their bus-related post went bye-bye and hopefully will realize why.

Quote:

Originally Posted by richlindquist
As someone who hosts and maintains a couple of dozen websites and only gets paid by one, I can appreciate Steve's headaches. I still think that charging a minimul fee ($5/yr) to become a member would remove the vast majority of the spam accounts and give Steve some funds to purchase commercial spam blocker software, etc.

SeanF, I truly understand your frustration and I wonder what we, as a community, can do to help? Do we need more moderators to spread the load?

Rich

The only stix-'n-staples site that I have anything to do with, ClassicWinnebagos & Vintage RVs, allows charter membership for free but charges for full unrestricted access. I think it's mainly economic, not anti-spam, reasons for the fee. Basic free membership allows use of the forum (similar to this one) while paid members have access to downloadable info about maintenance, body & chassis repair, etc. Initial registration requires replicating letters via "Captcha" and a question of the type Lorna suggests.

GreyEagle 05-26-2013 05:43 PM

Over 14,000 spam messages and counting today.........

lornaschinske 05-26-2013 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyEagle

WHY? What do the spammers get out of it?

Skunky Bus 05-27-2013 11:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timmylc
Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by GreyEagle

WHY? What do the spammers get out of it?

SEO/Back-links ... this looks like the result of a "paid" back-link service.

A captcha update would fix this :S

EDIT: this is what i have resorted to,
1.Under the moderation Q / scroll down to bottom and click "Select all"
2.Click Disapprove
3.Make SURE "Notify poster about disapproval?" is checked.
4.Select "The reported message does not fit into any other category, please use the further information field."
5.In the "Further information:" field i enter // "This post was marked as spam, I have resorted to mass spam deletion due to MAJOR issues with spam, IF THIS IS IN ERROR
and your post was legitimate feel free to e-mail me at *@*.net so we can address this issue."

When the NON-BOT gets the notification they can read what happened and contact me and we can manually get them setup "probably 5 posts in ~other~ forum that can be approved in a row", i suggest this for the other mods as well till we can get this fixed :)
"if need be make a new e-mail account"

just doing it this way till steve shows up :S

unless you guys think this is a BAD plan?

Hell, it would not have dissuaded me from joining. I wouldn't blame you/Skoolie.net: it's the @$$#0!& spammers' fault that such steps are necessary. This site is worth a little effort to join.

GreyEagle 06-01-2013 11:21 AM

Come On Steve!!!!........ Over 23,000 spams messages and members???????

Main

LATEST 5 POSTS AWAITING APPROVAL
In total there are 23091 posts waiting for approval.